Multiline Text - Scroll Bar

Jump to solution
07-05-2021 01:27 PM
JustinWilkes1
New Contributor

Hello,

I've added a multiline text question to my survey and some responses may be quite long (800-2000 characters).  When being used within the Survey123 App on a cell phone (Android), it becomes long enough that you're unable to see the entire text box on the device and I currently don't see a way to scroll through the content within the text box (you can only select the text).

Is there a way to scroll within a text box in the Survey123 app?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JustinWilkes1,

It is not currently possible to set a maximum height on the multiline text box, it will continue to grow with the size of the text entered. It is however possible to set a default height, which the control will open to when empty, when the form first loads. Refer to https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformsappearance.htm#GUID-687AC1A3-E779...

How are you populating he 800-2000 characters in the multiline box, from a calculation or another source? Does the user had to read or edit this text?

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JustinWilkes1,

It is not currently possible to set a maximum height on the multiline text box, it will continue to grow with the size of the text entered. It is however possible to set a default height, which the control will open to when empty, when the form first loads. Refer to https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformsappearance.htm#GUID-687AC1A3-E779...

How are you populating he 800-2000 characters in the multiline box, from a calculation or another source? Does the user had to read or edit this text?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
JustinWilkes1
New Contributor

Thanks Phil.  The users are entering descriptive text and occasionally they have a lot to enter (hence the 2000 character limit).  I was aware of the default height option, but as you mention, as new text is entered, the box will simply grow and once it get's big enough, the user is unable to see the new text they're typing.  They also can't scroll up or down to make corrections or review what they've added.

Ideally, you could set the default text box height and then be able to scroll within it but it sounds like this isn't an option currently.

Thanks,