MS Flow does not run when Survey123 response is submitted

Jump to solution
07-04-2019 04:26 AM
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi all,

At the moment I am trying to automate a Survey123 workflow using MS Flow. The scenario is: 'something' should happen when a survey response is submitted in Survey123.

I am trying to follow the steps described in this blog: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2018/07/19/automating-workflows-with-survey123-and-... by Ismael Chivite‌. But whatever I try, I don't get it up and running... or at least not when I try an build the Flow from scratch. All the flows I have build look like they are correct:

• no error message in the Flow designer
  • only green ticks
  • the Survey123 connector shows my surveys, and within these surveys the attribute fields are shown
  • the Flow is turned on...

But when I submit a survey, the Flows are not triggered. They did not run a single time...

But hey, now I did use a template provided by Microsoft - the Track Survey123 responses in Excel Online (Business) sheet template (see screen capture below) - and yes, this one is running correctly. So, this Flow which I did build with this template is triggered when I submit a survey, and a new line is written to an online spreadsheet.

So, my question - short and good - is: what could be the difference between this template and my custom build flows? As said above, my own flows do look all right, but apparently I am missing something...

Please help.

Egge-Jan

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi James Tedrick,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It did set me on the right track to solve the issue 🙂

I started by checking the web hooks on the Survey123 side by going to https://survey123.arcgis.com/ and having a look at the Settings > Webhooks section of the survey. There I found multiple web hooks which I created last week during testing, all properly configured as far as I could see.

However, in this section I also found a link to additional documentation Webhooks—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS with a brilliant remark:

Note:

If the survey you apply a webhook to has already been downloaded in the Survey123 field app, it will need to be downloaded again for the webhook to work.

So, that was the issue: I was testing my MS Flows with the Windows version of Survey123 for ArcGIS (Version 3.5.164) on my desktop. But of course, if you modify a survey (by adding a web hook or otherwise) you have to download it again in the Survey123 field app for the changes to take effect...

Now all my MS Flows work flawlessly.

Thanks again.

Egge-Jan

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Egge-Jan,

Can you share a screenshot of your Flow (the one not running)?  You may also want to check the web hook from the Survey123 side by going to https://survey123.arcgis.com and going to the 'Settings' section of the survey.

Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi James Tedrick,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It did set me on the right track to solve the issue 🙂

I started by checking the web hooks on the Survey123 side by going to https://survey123.arcgis.com/ and having a look at the Settings > Webhooks section of the survey. There I found multiple web hooks which I created last week during testing, all properly configured as far as I could see.

However, in this section I also found a link to additional documentation Webhooks—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS with a brilliant remark:

Note:

If the survey you apply a webhook to has already been downloaded in the Survey123 field app, it will need to be downloaded again for the webhook to work.

So, that was the issue: I was testing my MS Flows with the Windows version of Survey123 for ArcGIS (Version 3.5.164) on my desktop. But of course, if you modify a survey (by adding a web hook or otherwise) you have to download it again in the Survey123 field app for the changes to take effect...

Now all my MS Flows work flawlessly.

Thanks again.

Egge-Jan

MehdiPira1
Esri Contributor

That worked for me too.

Thanks heaps Egge-Jan Pollé 's Blog.