Link from ArcMap to a submitted Survey123 form

04-22-2021 06:44 AM
JasonCyphers
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a way to hyperlink to an already submitted Survey123 form, from ArcMap, so that edits can be made to the survey form?

Field users use Survey123 to submit a request to engineering to review something, which places a point in ArcMap.  Once Engineering reviews the point in ArcMap, I'd like to include a hyperlink script that would allow ArcMap users to utilize the hyperlink tool to reopen the already submitted Survey123 form, to be able to enter a response... similar to how one would open a survey from 'Sent' or 'Inbox' in the Survey123 app.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AndrewBowne

Sure, you can link out to a webform for the submitted response.  Check out this blog:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-web-form-url-param...

The section: "Edit existing records and opening surveys in view-only mode (mode)" will be most relevant for you.

0 Kudos
JasonCyphers

Great, thanks!

I entered to following into the hyperlink script of the feature in ArcMap:

Function OpenLink ([globalid])
Dim path
Dim objShell
path = "https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/surveyid?portalUrl=https://my_company's_portal_website&mode=edit&globalid="&[globalid]
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.ShellExecute path, "", "", "open", 1
End Function

Finally got it to open the Survey123 web form; however, when that link opens, I get:

JasonCyphers_0-1619110825451.png

and none of the attribute information submitted by the previous person is populated.

Looking at the URL in the web browser, it appears correct.  The record's globalid is, in fact, at the end of the URL string.

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

Check your syntax in your URL - I believe it is cAsE SeNsItiVE.... 

you have "globalid=".  I think it needs to be: "globalId="  (Capital "I" in "Id")

0 Kudos
JasonCyphers

That did it!

Getting closer, but now I'm getting an error: 

JasonCyphers_0-1619111875898.pngand the field name and value that its supposed to contain is listed.

And, every field after that one is blank as well (almost like Survey123 went field by field, populating it with the values previously entered; but, when it got to that field, it errored out and just stopped.

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

Does that happen with every one of your survey responses (the points collected) or just one in particular?  It sounds like maybe the value does not fit the field length or maybe it has the wrong datatype?

0 Kudos
JasonCyphers

Half of the fields get populated.

The field that has the error is a 256 character string field, and the value is 3/4"; so, wouldn't think it's a formatting issue.  There is another 256 character string field that has that same value in it, and it loads & populates without issues.

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

Is the problematic field name a reserved word? You could try removing that field from your survey for testing purposes and see if that fixes the problem.

0 Kudos
JasonCyphers

the attribute field with the error is called "bypass_size".  I deleted the field and everything worked fine.  I created a new field called "size_of_bypass", and it caused the same error.  I even tried entering a value other than 3/4", and it still caused an error.

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

try creating two new fields "BP_SIZE" and "BYPASS_SZ".  See if either or both of them work.  I wonder if that is somehow a reserved word.  This might help determine that.

0 Kudos