Is there any workflow that will replace the combination of Collector and Survey123?

07-21-2020 01:58 PM
KerryKang
Occasional Contributor II

Hello all, 

I am wondering if the workflow that uses the combination of Collector for ArcGIS and Survey123 can be done (not exactly the same but somewhat similar) within Survey123 with the upcoming new features from Survey123 connector 3.10 (Linked content for own basemap and pulldata with javascript).

So instead of clicking a point in Collector and opens up Survey123, clicking a feature on the customized basemap in the survey creates a new point record referencing the clicked feature's x, y and other attributes followed by other questions.

For example, there are address points in the basemap. When users click the address point, it creates a new feature record  in the new layer (not sure if this needs to be a related table to the address point or not) with x, y, and addres retrieved from the address point clicked.

I asked this briefly during the uc and someone answered it would be possible to extract feature layer's information and apply to the survey with pulldata function with java script.

The use case is damage assessment. Users will visit each house in AOI and collect the data. Rather than creating new points randomly and ask users to type the address manually, I'd like to utilize the existing address point's location and some of its attributes such as road name, full address, etc. However, I want to collect it as a separated layer (not related table) with geometry using Survey123. I am sure it may work with the upcoming Field Maps app, but still want to try it out with Survey123.

Cheers,

K

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kerry,

The map support in Survey123 with 3.10 is only for visualization; pop-ups will not be supported.  That being said, the use case you describe could be accomplished by pre-populating the feature service the damage assessment survey will fill out with the building information and then use the Inbox to load the points into Survey123.

0 Kudos
KerryKang
Occasional Contributor II

Hello James, 

Thank you for your quick response. I tried Inbox with address point that has additional fields for the inspection related information, and had the following challenges.

1. There maybe the new building/ units that do not exist in the current address points. Then, user need to conduct the survey under 'Collect', but not able to fill-out address related information correctly due to limited time or typo. ==> I think this is less concern now if we can use custom basemap. If I set up parcel/point layer with address label, user can type the new address information more accurately.

2. One address point may be used more than one time in a short-time period, especially during the emergency season. We do not want to overwrite the collected information. So I hoped to find a way to use an address reference layer which can provide the geometry and address information into a new feature layer used in the survey.

I currently use Collector for this workflow -  address point + related table (inspection information only, no geometry). To review the result I use a view layer created by joining the point and the inspection table. I found it's not only user friendly looking form but also there was limit on using feature table in WAB or dashboard (sometimes need to update table - add high-level information as a coordinator).

by writing this, I thought about another way work around. Can I use Inbox to work with related table? Is it possible to pass the main feature layer's attribute into the related table by setup calculation? I am sure I can do it for strings, but not sure if I can pass the geometry information.

Cheers, 

K

0 Kudos