Is there a fill-in text option for select_one questions in Survey123?

Jump to solution
04-26-2017 02:41 PM
RebeccaFuda
New Contributor III

I have a multiple choice select_one question in my Survey123 form with several different options for answers.  I would like to create a choice called "Other", which allows the user to fill in a text box.  Is this possible?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
deleted-user-PF38P_WNl02r
New Contributor II

If you add or_other at the end of the type column in the XLSX form when using Survey123 Connect, it will add a text box below the question for the user to specify other.  For example in the type column: select_one yes_no or_other.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
New Contributor II

If you add or_other at the end of the type column in the XLSX form when using Survey123 Connect, it will add a text box below the question for the user to specify other.  For example in the type column: select_one yes_no or_other.

RebeccaFuda
New Contributor III

Great! Is there a way for me to change the label for the "Other" option? 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The box that shows with or_other can't be altered.

To have a custom version, add an 'other' choice to your list.  Then have a question below for your 'Or other' question and set the relevant value to ${PREVIOUS_QUESTION} = 'other' or similar.

New Contributor II

I don't believe so, on my previous comment.  There is another way to get this functionality.

The other way is add the choice that you want to have open a textbox in the choices tab.  Then make a question with a type of text and use the relevant column for that text question to show the textbox based the answer to a specific question.

For example if the choices for the select_one question are yes, no, or something, and you want the user to specify what something is. Then create the text question underneath with ${nameFieldOfPreviousQuestion} = 'something' in the relevant column. 

I have an image of how to use the relevant column below.