Select to view content in your preferred language

Input Text as Bold, Survey 123

11-02-2017 02:00 AM
DouglasRonoh
Emerging Contributor

Is there a way to specify that the input in a text type of question be formatted as bold as one does the data entry using the field app?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Douglas,

Unfortunately it is not possible to specify that input entries be reflected in bold, or apply any other html formatting to the input parameter, for that matter.  I am curious to know what your use case might be?

Brandon

0 Kudos
DouglasRonoh
Emerging Contributor

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the reply. My use case is more on making the responses stand out such that a user can easily review the answers later as well easily spot any skipped questions.

I also have a related question to that, can I email you an xls form concerning what I am trying to achieve?

0 Kudos
DouglasRonoh
Emerging Contributor

Hi Brandon,

My use case for this inquiry is as follows:

I have a survey 123 form attached for collecting household information, where the first question is the name of the interviewee (text type).

Using the concatenate and once() functions across repeats, I have been able to make a workaround where the subsequent questions refer to the name listed first as part of their questions.

The challenge has been how to make the name bold in the subsequent questions as per the clients wishes coz if I add the html once($)</b>,'s'," ",'relationship to the head of this household?')

it returns an error upon publishing.

Equally, if I add an apostrophe before the 's' letter to refer to a person e,g What is Mary's.... as in the example below an error occurs

concat('What is'," ",once($),''s'," ",'relationship to the head of this household?')

I have opted to add the (`) character instead of the apostrophe character (') to read say: Mary`s instead of Mary's which appears rather odd!

How could I resolve the above?

Warm Regards,

Douglas

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Douglas,

As for your initial question, again, unfortunately it is not possible to manipulate the style of the input at this time.  However, thank you for sharing information related to your use case.

As for your second question, related to the ability to return an apostrophe within the result of concatenated calculation, you can use the following example to achieve the result.

concat("What is"," ",once(${Name}),"\'","s"," ","relationship to the head of this household?")

You will notice that I have changed the single quotes to reflect double quotes, and then used the backslash (\) character in order to escape the meaning of the single quote so that it can be considered as a standard apostrophe.  You can see examples related to escape characters within the documentation linked below...

2.4.1 String literals 

I have gone ahead and attached an XLSForm to this response which reflects the form that you had shared with the mentioned changes. Please let me know if you have any further questions related to the shared information.

Brandon

DouglasRonoh
Emerging Contributor

Hi Brandon,

Thanks, that was quite helpful. Will let you know if I come across any further questions related to the same.

Douglas

0 Kudos