I can't get predictive text and multiline text working at the same time on Survey123 on Android app.

01-07-2019 02:33 AM
RobertMoore
New Contributor

Predictive text has been disabled on the Android Survey123 app by default. How do I get predictive text working for multiline text fields through the Survey design spreadsheet. At the moment, it seems to only be allowing 1 or the other to be enabled at a time. This is very frustrating for myself and the users.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Robert,

Which version of Survey123 Connect and the Survey123 Field App are you using?  After specifying a value of 'multiline predictivetext' in the appearance column of a text question and publishing your survey, you should see both the multiline appearance and predictive text enabled on your Android device.

I confirmed this behavior to be working when publishing a survey using Survey123 Connect v. 3.1.126 and Survey123 Field App v.3.1.159 on a Samsung Galaxy S8 with Android 8.0.

Let us know what your results are after trying this out.

Best,

Brandon

FingalAdmin
New Contributor

Hi Brandon,

Thank you, I was using an old version Survey123 Connect and that was causing the issue. I upgraded to the latest version and that fixed the issue. Thanks very much.

HaroldHerrera1
Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem, I can't get predictive text and multiline text working at the same time on Survey123 on Android app. the value 'multiline predictivetext' isn't exist.... only 'multiline' or 'predictivetext', how could we combinate both values? I mean, I need multiline text and predictive text at the same time.

using Survey123 Connect v. 3.1.126 and Survey123 Field App v.3.1.159 

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Harold,

You may need to turn off the validation rules for that particular cell in order to allow for multiline predictive text to be entered as a value.  As mentioned here, you can quickly remove data validation for a cell, by selecting it, and then going to Data > Data Tools > Data Validation > Settings > Clear All.

Try this and let us know your results.

DerrickWestoby
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @BrandonArmstrong ( @Anonymous User ) - This value works fine in S123 connect and the field app behaves as expected, but my feature reports fail to generate when I make this change. The error message says something along the line of:   "appearance" cannot be found for ${comment_general | appearance:"multiline"}

Is this a known bug/limitation? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DerrickWestoby,

This should be supported and honor the carriage returns (line breaks) in a multiline text input. The documentation is here:

Report templates—ArcGIS Survey123 | Documentation

If you are seeing issues with this in your feature report, please raise it as a BUG via Esri Support so we can have it officially logged and added to backlog to resolve in future update.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
DerrickWestoby

Thanks Philip.  I couldn't find an existing bug for it and was surprised that I couldn't find anything searching geonet either.  I'll submit a bug report right now. 

ESRI Case: #02990215 Multiline Predictivetext appearance causes feature report generation to fail

I'll edit in the BUG# if it gets converted to a bug. 

EDIT for posterity: This was confirmed as a bug (BUG-000146779), but using "predictivetext multiline" in the appearance column (instead of "multiline predictivetext") does work. While troubleshooting, we noticed that "multiline predictivetext" will work if it's present when the survey is first published, but not if it's changed after first publishing. 

Just for the sake of continuity here...

This works fine, both in-app and in the feature report:

DerrickWestoby_0-1643906518838.png

The portion of the feature report that prints out this response:

DerrickWestoby_4-1643906719840.png

If I change it to multiline predictivetext and republish, the in-app behavior works as expected:

DerrickWestoby_5-1643906762160.png

New records and existing records fail to generate with this error though:

DerrickWestoby_1-1643906626236.png

And I start getting a syntax error when trying to upload an edited feature report (with appearance:multiline still set):

DerrickWestoby_3-1643906698783.png

UltrafastAdmin
New Contributor

Hi @DerrickWestoby  Did you get this resolved i am having the same error. So just wondering if you got any closure for this?

0 Kudos
DerrickWestoby

Yes I did.  I edited the resolution into my last post, but here it is as well.  (use "predictivetext multiline", NOT "multiline predictivetext")

EDIT for posterity: This was confirmed as a bug (BUG-000146779), but using "predictivetext multiline" in the appearance column (instead of "multiline predictivetext") does work. While troubleshooting, we noticed that "multiline predictivetext" will work if it's present when the survey is first published, but not if it's changed after first publishing.