html formating select one list

Jump to solution
02-09-2018 08:59 AM
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

So...I thought I had discovered an new way to help my users by using html formatting to color code my list for select one questions:

list_namenamelabel
hostPoplarSp<font color='#6c09ac'><b>Poplar Sp</b><font>
hostBigToothAspen<font color='#6c09ac'>Big Tooth Aspen<font>
hostQuakingAspen<font color='#6c09ac'>Quaking Aspen<font>
hostCottonwood<font color='#6c09ac'>Cottonwood<font>
hostOakSp<font color='#24a507'><b>Oak Sp</b><font>
hostBlackOak<font color='#24a507'>Black Oak<font>

The results look great in the list, helping to visually break choices into groups.

Unfortunately once a selection is made the choice is displayed with the html formatting.

I know I am probably pushing the limits of the intent of using html formatting in Survey123 but was wondering if there is any solution to having the formatting text show up in the selection?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Brent. Using HTML formatting in your labels is fair game. It should work well. Turns out HTML formatting is not supported in auto-complete questions.  I added this to our backlog  so this can be looked at in the future. In the meantime, given that your choice list is small, I suggest you either use the minimal or default appearances.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Brent. Using HTML formatting in your labels is fair game. It should work well. Turns out HTML formatting is not supported in auto-complete questions.  I added this to our backlog  so this can be looked at in the future. In the meantime, given that your choice list is small, I suggest you either use the minimal or default appearances.

BrentKinal1

Thanks Ismael,  I didn't think to try a different list appearance. Minimal did the trick.

0 Kudos
NeilWebber
New Contributor III

Hi Ismael

Is the same still true of the Likert appearance? I have a list as per below that I use to present a Likert scale choice on a form.

list_quality1<font color="#C70039"><b>1</b></font>
list_quality2<font color="#F07339"><b>2</b></font>
list_quality3<font color="#FFC300"><b>3</b></font>
list_quality4<font color="#15C14E"><b>4</b></font>
list_quality5<font color="#04782B"><b>5</b></font>

The form appears as below:

NeilWebber_0-1631868955976.png

The underlying table captures the choices as below:

NeilWebber_1-1631869062229.png

I can't use the 'minimal' appearance to get round the issue as suggested because I need the Likert scale format.

Any further ideas on how to get round this html issue and collect only the number (1,2,3,4,5) that represents the choice made?

thanks, Neil

0 Kudos
RachelS

@NeilWebber  @IsmaelChivite  Were you ever able to resolve this?

I'm having the same problem. The colour looks great but unfortunately it's writing the formatting to the database.

Thanks

Rachel

NeilWebber
New Contributor III

Hi Rachel, no I never figured it out and I haven't seen anything more from anyone at ESRI on whether it's an issue they're looking at. I just ended up not using the HTML and not having the coloured labels, which is a shame as I think it works well. I'm sure the writing of the HTML to the table isn't a designed feature so I'm still hopeful it might get sorted one day. 

@IsmaelChivite - any further thoughts you can offer?

0 Kudos