How do I make a new Survey123 schema & add existing data while maintaining related table connectivity

12-18-2019 10:16 AM
HelenJohnson
New Contributor III

I have a survey that has five parts consisting of a parent point layer and its four related items (three related tables and one related feature class).  It is hosted in AGOL.  We have been using this survey for about seven months and have hundreds of data points collected.  I was recently asked to update the survey to add a few questions.  I easily used Survey123 Connect to create a new survey based on the old one, made the required updates, and published.  Now I can find no way to load the existing data into my new blank hosted features classes and tables while maintaining the relationship.  If I append data into the feature classes, it fails with a 99999 error if I select 'preserve globalid' in the environments.  If I don't select 'preserve globalid', then the relationship based on globalid is lost.

Is there a trick to pulling old data into a new schema while maintaining the globalids? And if not, is there a way to force the survey123 globalid fields to be GUID instead of globalid, since that is a little more flexible?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ClayDonaldsonSWCA
Occasional Contributor II

Here is how I handle similar scenarios:

1. Go to the Feature Service Item details of your Survey123 Form
  2. Download as file geodatabase (FGDB)
  3. Add/Adjust the fields/domains in the file geodatabase to match your new schema
  4. Publish the .gdb as a new feature service
  5. In survey123 connect, open up the .xlsx and adjust the submission_url setting to use the new service (see documentation)
  6. Re-publish your survey

It's a convoluted process - but it works well for the scenario you are describing. If you follow these steps you will maintain your data, and have more control over the database itself - not just the form.

CrimeAnalysis
New Contributor

Clay,

This worked perfectly.  Thank you!