How can I give the user different list based on the answers to previous questions?

02-18-2020 09:01 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am trying to create a structure inspection survey. The inspector takes specific photos based on the structure type and orientation.

The user will select a structure type (Bridge/Culvert), then will select the orientation(NorthSouth/EastWest). Based on these two answers, there will be four different results and 4 different captions/checklist for photos. The number of photos to be taken can be different based on the answers. The result of each survey should be the same as the excel sheet.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Caner,

In looking at your sheet, I see only the photos for the Bridge & NorthSouth selections.  Do you have a list for all 4 combinations (Bridge vs Culvert and NorthSouth vs EastWest)?

In general, you can create an image question for each photo you would require on the form and have it hide/show using a relevant statement.  See https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2015/08/24/using-formulas-in-survey123 and Form expressions—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation for more details.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have used this way but it creates 4 different fields. Is there any way to make Survey123 pick one of the list options based on the previous selections? I attached the template to the question.

Select list

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

One way to consolidate the answers of the questions would be to set the select_multiple questions' bind:Esri:fieldType values to null and have a calculate question (let's call it photo_label) that uses the coalesce() function to get the answer from the 1 of the 4 that is not null:

coalesce(${BridgeNS},coalesce(${BridgeEW},coalesce(${CulverNS},${CulvertEW})))

0 Kudos