Hide Geopoint Map in Survey123

Jump to solution
07-12-2018 12:58 PM
joerodmey
MVP Alum

Looking to hide the Geopoint map in Survey123. Need to collect the location of the user from the coordinates that I'm passing to Survey via the custom URL. I do not want the user to see or edit these coordinates.

Any solutions out there?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

What might be possible, although this involves more knowledge of Web App Builder than I have, is to extract the latitude and longitude values of the point separately, and use them to populate hidden questions added through Survey123 Connect (the web app supports questions of the 'hidden' question type added in Survey123 Connect, it's just that the web designer has no ability to add them itself). This won't be filled in as a location for the survey, however, on a map view the results will still show at latitude 0, longitude 0. You'd just have the X and Y values in a text field on your app.

I don't think this would work for you, and you're better off with just a read-only (and hide-input, you're right on that one!) geopoint, possibly with a comment in the label or hint for the question that it's a read-only value that you don't need to worry about.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joe,

If you don't include a geopoint question in your survey, the field app will still capture a coordinate behind the scenes. This doesn't work for the Survey123 website, however, which only captures a location if a geopoint question is in your survey.

0 Kudos
joerodmey
MVP Alum

Can I hide geopoint in the online form and still pass in the coordinates? Any other options to allow for this?

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Claire Proctor<geonet@esri.com> wrote:

#yiv6476511316 * #yiv6476511316 a #yiv6476511316 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv6476511316 #yiv6476511316 h1, #yiv6476511316 h2, #yiv6476511316 h3, #yiv6476511316 h4, #yiv6476511316 h5, #yiv6476511316 h6, #yiv6476511316 p, #yiv6476511316 hr {}#yiv6476511316 .yiv6476511316button td {}

|

GeoNet

|

Re: Hide Geopoint Map in Survey123

reply from Claire Proctor in Survey123 for ArcGIS - View the full discussion

Hi Joe,

If you don't include a geopoint question in your survey, the field app will still capture a coordinate behind the scenes. This doesn't work for the Survey123 website, however, which only captures a location if a geopoint question is in your survey.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on GeoNet

Start a new discussion in Survey123 for ArcGIS by email or at GeoNet

Following Re: Hide Geopoint Map in Survey123 in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by GeoNet because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from GeoNet, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

0 Kudos
BillSimper
New Contributor III

You can set the 'relevant' attribute of that geopoint field to some false condition to hide the geopoint. I think it will still hold the value you pass it through a custom URL scheme (test it to make sure) but I believe that it won't work if you're using something else like a calculation to obtain that value (through a pulldata or other function).

0 Kudos
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, functionality has recently changed so that questions that didn't display due to not being called as relevant now don't record values. This changed for the field app in 3.0, but may have been true before then in the website, I'm not certain. I will raise this with the website team, though.

What I can suggest is that you experiment with setting the geopoint question to read-only through Survey123 Connect and then loading it in the website; while users will be able to see it, they won't be able to write values to it. I will warn that I couldn't get this to work in my case, though.

joerodmey
MVP Alum

Thanks for the info. Read only locks down the map so the coordinates can't be changed. This is great but I would rather not show them at all. I also tried setting the geopoint to hide input which shrinks down the window but still shows a "set location button"

I'll provide some context on my question. Basically I'm creating a form that has the coordinates passed in from a Web app builder application. From here I want to have the coordinates recorded  but not show them to the user as to not confuse them.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 7:32 PM, Claire Proctor<geonet@esri.com> wrote:

#yiv0895370385 * #yiv0895370385 a #yiv0895370385 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv0895370385 h1, #yiv0895370385 h2, #yiv0895370385 h3, #yiv0895370385 h4, #yiv0895370385 h5, #yiv0895370385 h6, #yiv0895370385 p, #yiv0895370385 hr {}#yiv0895370385 .yiv0895370385button td {}

|

GeoNet

|

Re: Hide Geopoint Map in Survey123

reply from Claire Proctor in Survey123 for ArcGIS - View the full discussion

Unfortunately, functionality has recently changed so that questions that didn't display due to not being called as relevant now don't record values. This changed for the field app in 3.0, but may have been true before then in the website, I'm not certain. I will raise this with the website team, though.

What I can suggest is that you experiment with setting the geopoint question to read-only through Survey123 Connect and then loading it in the website; while users will be able to see it, they won't be able to write values to it. I will warn that I couldn't get this to work in my case, though.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on GeoNet

Start a new discussion in Survey123 for ArcGIS by email or at GeoNet

Following Re: Hide Geopoint Map in Survey123 in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by GeoNet because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from GeoNet, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

0 Kudos
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

What might be possible, although this involves more knowledge of Web App Builder than I have, is to extract the latitude and longitude values of the point separately, and use them to populate hidden questions added through Survey123 Connect (the web app supports questions of the 'hidden' question type added in Survey123 Connect, it's just that the web designer has no ability to add them itself). This won't be filled in as a location for the survey, however, on a map view the results will still show at latitude 0, longitude 0. You'd just have the X and Y values in a text field on your app.

I don't think this would work for you, and you're better off with just a read-only (and hide-input, you're right on that one!) geopoint, possibly with a comment in the label or hint for the question that it's a read-only value that you don't need to worry about.

joerodmey
MVP Alum

Yes that's a good option that I will explore.

If that doesn't work I was thinking of just leaving the map open instead of showing the "Set Location" button. How would I do this? I've removed hide input and read only and the map still doesn't show in the web form.

ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

This also isn't currently possible to my knowledge, unfortunately; that used to be the functionality of geopoint questions in the web app, but there's not currently a way to restore it. I'll also raise that to the website team, though, I'm not sure if this is something we actually can't support, or just something that we don't currently support.

0 Kudos
joerodmey
MVP Alum

Can I at least change the "Set Location" button text to something like location confirmed?

0 Kudos