Select to view content in your preferred language

GeoShape default map location

Jump to solution
07-23-2019 01:00 PM
RussellSturm
Emerging Contributor

I'm trying my first survey with the geoshape.  Is it possible to set the default location for the map when opening the geoshape question?  I tried in both the default and calculations columns in the excel form but neither appears to work.  I was hoping it would work like the geopoint question where I can set the location.  Also, will geoshape use the default zoom level from the settings of the survey?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Russell,

After further investigation, the way to set the default location for Geotrace and Geoshape is using the map setting from Survey123 Connect. The default/calculation column in the xls form only works for Geopoint as we did use lat/long value to calculate the point, but not for Geoshape/Geotrace, as the field type is different. Thus, the current support for geotrace/geoshape default location is to use Survey123 Connect to set.

Thanks,

Shwu-Jing

DataOfficer
Frequent Contributor

Has there been any update on this. I.e. is there now a way to center a geotrace or geoshape question map based on the coordinates from a previous question?

My use case is that the user selects a survey site, from which a pulldata function gets the lat and long. I would then like the geotrace (or geoshape) map to center on those coordinates pulled in from the previous step.

Many thanks,
Rob

Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rob,

We haven't made any updates to support the use case you mentinoed with geoshape and geotrace. I encourage you to contact Esri Support. Our Support team will assign an official enhancement number for your records. Similar requests from other customers can then be attached to the same enhancement request, which helps us assess demand for the enhancement and prioritize it accordingly.

0 Kudos
ahargreaves_FW
Frequent Contributor

@Shwu-jingJeng , any update on this 2 years later? We need to be able to dynamically set the GeoShape location based on an earlier GeoPoint value...

0 Kudos
DJB
by
Regular Contributor

@Shwu-jingJeng,  @Ismael 

It has now been 5 years since this initial post.  Has Esri made any progress on this issue.  

I have a survey that includes a geopoint question and then and a related group that has a geoshape question that requires the user to capture all of their field boundaries.  I think it is very inefficient to ask uses to find their location twice in the same survey.  Why can I not use the geopoint location as the default map extent for the geoshape question.

Esri, PLEASE include this functionally in a future update.

0 Kudos
tnscoffee_admin
New Contributor

Any update on this..?

Best,

Mannan

Mondi_GIS
Frequent Contributor

I calculate the four corner coordinate pairs to create a polygon that I use to set the default location in the geoshape. Then the user needs to clear the polygon and draw their new shape, which is a bit of a nuisance but so far my users have been happy to do this. 

Mondi_GIS_0-1652350093106.png