Geocode without map question

Jump to solution
12-03-2021 10:54 AM
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

My survey was created in Survey123 Connect and is intended for use in the web app. The end-user is required to put in their address.

This may sound like a silly question, but is there a way to geocode the survey submissions based on the address field(s)? I'm not including a map question. Right now the points are at 0,0. I'm interested in having the points geocoded because internally there will be an app with the ability to export the features (using the select widget). And, it wouldn't look right when viewing the app if the points were not in their correct locations.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jared,

You could populate a geopoint question based on the address question and then apply a hidden appearance to the geopoint question. That way the geopoint question wouldn't be visible in the survey, but the points in your survey's feature layer would be the geocoded locations. I attached an XLSForm with an example.

-Barbara

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jared,

You could populate a geopoint question based on the address question and then apply a hidden appearance to the geopoint question. That way the geopoint question wouldn't be visible in the survey, but the points in your survey's feature layer would be the geocoded locations. I attached an XLSForm with an example.

-Barbara

JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Barbara,

Thank you! That's what I was looking for. When testing, the point was geocoded correctly.

But, something strange is also happening. There is a hint of sorts being generated in the form when you put in an address. "Looking for ...?" appears where in the XLSForm I have the geopoint row.

JaredPilbeam2_0-1638808255566.png

The only thing I can think of that may have an impact on this behavior is that the address field is in a group with other contact info and that info is autocompleted and pulled from a CSV table . But still, I don't know where this text "Looking for" is coming from? The XLSXForm is attached.

Edit: I've started another post regarding this: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey123-search-widget-suggest-show/m-p/11...

0 Kudos
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Glad that worked for you! I'll reply in the second post regarding the second issue you're seeing. 

0 Kudos