Select to view content in your preferred language

Formatting Survey123 Template to Keep Rows Together

11-06-2023 02:22 PM
jzibbell_boise
Occasional Contributor

I have a report template, attached here, where I can't predict what field will cause it to break to a new page, but at least I'd like to keep the headings with the cell below it. In Word you can uncheck "Allow row to break across pages" box in the table layout properties. But it doesn't seem to work once it's uploaded to Survey123. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Predicting table breaks in generated reports can be difficult. However, the settings in word should persist through uploading the Feature Report Template.

I think your issue is that your Feature Report Template is actually a single massive table. Try breaking this down into separate tables. E.g.:

abureaux_0-1699377782606.png

0 Kudos
jzibbell_boise
Occasional Contributor

I tried that and it didn't seem to work. Attached is the new (very draft) template. I still need to fix a bunch of formatting, but I can tell right away the tables are not staying together. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'd start off with these couple of options:

abureaux_0-1699976507627.png

But when I tried this on your template, nothing happened to the selected table. I.e., It looked the same as before the options were selected. This was odd, so I created a new table and tried again, and I got the desired outcome (i.e., the table header didn't break over pages):

abureaux_1-1699976622199.png

Something seems to be off with your template's formatting. I used to see this a lot when I still wrote reports. While reviewing other's work, I would try to clean up their formatting, and noticed a similar behaviour in their tables. Honestly, I am not sure how that happens, but in my experience I have always been able to fix the issue on my machine by simply copying table contents, deleting the old table, creating a brand new table, paste in the contents (as text only), and then format the table (again, don't copy anything direly from an old/existing table that may still have this issue). Since it was an easy fix and didn't happen all the time, I've never dug too deeply into it -- sorry!

abureaux_2-1699976926853.png

jzibbell_boise
Occasional Contributor

Okay thank you. I'll start from scratch and see if that works.

0 Kudos