Select to view content in your preferred language

Form Crashes in iOS Survey123 App

08-30-2019 11:34 AM
JacobRougeaux
New Contributor III

I have a form that crashes shortly after opening in the Survey123 app for iOS. I have been able to diagnose the two causes but am unsure how to fix them.  I've read in other posts that having too many values in the relevant field will cause it to crash.  This is true for my form.  Has a fix been found for this issue?

I've also discovered that the calculations in the form to convert DD to DMS causes it to crash as well.  The calculations come from the post Declining Decimal Degrees in Survey123.  These calculations are needed so the DMS coordinates are properly formatted for the feature report generated on the back end.  It almost seems like the calculations are too much for the app to handle, but the same form works wonderfully on the Android version.

Additionally, the survey was created and published in Survey123 Connect version 3.5.

Tags (1)
13 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JacobRougeaux @FieldUser1One @Anonymous User ,

Just letting you know we have recently updated the 3.14 beta builds on the Early Adopter Community and the next release will include major improvements to the expression calculation engine, new calculation modes, improvements to loading relevant questions and repeats, and other fixes to repeats, nested repeats and repeat count. With these improvements we see faster loading surveys, increased stability, less crashes and ability to optimize calculation workflows.

The issues you reported below with crashes on iOS and expression/calculations issues, should now be resolved in the latest 3.14 beta builds.

Please refer to this blog post for more details: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/arcgis-survey123-3-14-beta-now-available-for/ba-...

Direct link to EAC announcement: https://earlyadopter.esri.com/project/article/item.html?cap=e69ef91f45744b98882c651f7b518eb7&arttype...

Regards,

Phil.

FieldUser1One
New Contributor III

Yes, so far on my end, the iOS update and this 3.14 beta build has eliminated the iOS issue so far.  Along with the cleaner coding we were forced to utilize in the mean-time.  

@Phil has there been any updates/improvements to using the label to populate the multi-line text, while using the name for database functionality?  We are aspiring to create client ready reports, and needing to remove underscores, have spaces in certain data codes, and add a space after the comma in select multiple choices.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @FieldUser1One,

Great to hear the 3.14 beta builds have resolved the crash issues on iOS your previously reported, thanks for the feedback.

As for updates to using the label to populate the multi-line text, can you explain a little more what you mean, where are you wanting to see the labels versus name being used?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
FieldUser1One
New Contributor III

Hi Phil, I'm basically wanting to automate report writing for our field personnel.  So, instead of having to edit an underscore in a choice name list like Rock_Sample, I want to use the choice label e.g. "Rock Sample" to populate the feature report and dashboard.  Currently we just use a remove underscore find/replace in word, but I want to streamline our reporting even more.  Noting you can't get away with spaces in select multiple like you can with select one.  We are using select multiple to create phrases in our reports.

0 Kudos