Form Crashes in iOS Survey123 App

08-30-2019 11:34 AM
JacobRougeaux
New Contributor III

I have a form that crashes shortly after opening in the Survey123 app for iOS. I have been able to diagnose the two causes but am unsure how to fix them.  I've read in other posts that having too many values in the relevant field will cause it to crash.  This is true for my form.  Has a fix been found for this issue?

I've also discovered that the calculations in the form to convert DD to DMS causes it to crash as well.  The calculations come from the post Declining Decimal Degrees in Survey123.  These calculations are needed so the DMS coordinates are properly formatted for the feature report generated on the back end.  It almost seems like the calculations are too much for the app to handle, but the same form works wonderfully on the Android version.

Additionally, the survey was created and published in Survey123 Connect version 3.5.

Tags (1)
13 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jacob,

What version of iOS are you using and on what devices (make/model)? Do you see the crash occur on Windows and Android also with same survey?

Are you able to share the xlsx file (and any files in media folder such as external csv or images) so we can take a closer look?

And lastly, have you tested the latest 3.6 beta builds available on EAC to see if the crash still occurs on the 3.6 version we will be releasing soon.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
JacobRougeaux
New Contributor III

Phil,

It has crashed on every iOS device I’ve tried including my work iPad, and several co-workers have tried it on their iPhones with no luck. The survey works great on Android.

I have not tried 3.6 yet. I submitted a case with Esri and am waiting to hear back on that.

Lastly, I think my employer would frown upon me sharing the xlsx file openly, but I do not have any files in the media folder.

Jacob

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jacob,

Ok thanks for the additional information. We do see more cases were a survey will crash on iOS due to out of memory issues. We would require the xlsx file to look into the expressions and calculations in more detail. Please provide it to the Esri support analyst working on your issue, and once the bug is accepted we will be able to get access to it.

Phil.

JacobRougeaux
New Contributor III

I was informed by Esri that they will be logging a bug for this issue. I will share it with this post once it's available.

They determined the crash is caused by the iOS app trying to display the lat/long values in DMS using calculations similar to those linked in my original post.

I changed the field type from text to hidden and the app no longer crashes. The new lat/long values are still generated and populate in a feature report, which is what I needed.

JacobRougeaux
New Contributor III

Esri has logged a bug for this issue.  It is BUG-000125015: Displaying the results of multiple complex calculations in text fields within the Survey123 for iOS app causes the app to crash before data can be entered or submitted.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jacob,

Just a quick follow up to let you know I was able to access the xlsx file provided with the bug you logged above, and can now reproduce the crash on all iOS devices I tested with the latest version of the app.

I have narrowed down the cause of the issue by simplifying the xlsx form, it appears when the ${round_long_sec} field is referred to in a following calculation the app crashes, possibly a memory related issue but requires more investigation to further under and fix the memory issues causing the crash. The same survey does not crash on Windows, MacOS, Android and Linux.

I will keep you updated when we have more progress on this issue.

Phil.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Phil,

Has this issue been resolved?  We now have a user group that is now experiencing the same issue described above with iPads only.  The survey works on all other device types.  

Thanks,

D

0 Kudos
FieldUser1One
New Contributor III

Hi all, Is there an update to this topic, or a way to determine the memory required/totalled for fields displaying the results of multiple complex calculations in text fields?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @FieldUser1One,

Keep an eye out on the Early Adopter Community for updates to the 3.14 beta builds coming soon (hopefully next week!). We have done significant work to the calculation and expression engine used in Survey123. Some new calculationModes are coming, and many issues reported with crashes, out of memory issues, repeats and loading existing data have been resolved. It will be worth testing once available to see if these updates helps with the issues reported above.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos