Feature Report with image repeat section

Jump to solution
03-01-2024 11:10 AM
admincrew
New Contributor II

Hello! I'm looking for help on several aspects of a feature report. I'm a complete newb to feature reports. I built the survey from scratch using Survey123 Connect and I have learned a lot so far! The end goal of this project is to streamline data management and reduce overall time spent by switching to survey123 with a feature report. The form is designed to collect basic data at one geopoint and include to four photos per geopoint. The feature report is generated from a number of selected points at a given property and I've been using the "merge continous" output setting.

I've been able to get pretty close to the desired output but am spinning my wheels searching for useful help articles at this point. There are three sections to the report- see attached pdf for example of descriptions below.

Map

1.  How do I remove blue pins for selected features from the overview map?
  2. I want to include two feature layers from our online org account in the summary map. What's the best way to do that? Do I add those to the survey webmap? Or do I connect the survey results to an existing webmap?

Photopoint Coordinates

• WORKS GREAT!!
Photos
  1. Photo image caption text.  The output formatting is not great. Would be better if could combine all text onto one line. Stuck on property syntax for each image caption. The field for the photo point number is outside of the photo repeat so I’m not sure how to pull it in for the desired formatting. I had the idea to just pull that answer down into the repeat in XLS Connect but haven't figured out how to do so yet.
    • I remember seeing something awhile back that highlighted using the form input later in the same form. As in, person puts in Name early on in form and then later in the form it says, “Hey, Name” before the form is submitted
    • Tried making a new row in repeat group in XLS form with calculation field if(${pointnum}!",${pointnum},") but it didn't work when I tried it in a published form source link 
  2. Images split from image caption text . The title for the next image does not stay with image. This isn't a high priority but it'd be nice if there were a way to fix this.
  3. Image size/ratio is inconsistent using take photo vs. browse options. Photo 3 was uploaded and most others were taken directly in app. I prefer the size/ratio of the photo that was uploaded rather than those taken within the app (only testing in Survy123 app because this is how data will be collected)
  4. Photo order. I know you can sort fields in the attribute table to order by a certain field (date, photo point number, etc) but I'd like to have the report template syntax automatically order the photos by photopoint number and then letter (1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 2c etc) because I think some users will struggle to remember that step in Survey123.

Here are examples from an existing document

aka these are the feature report output goals 🙂

Photopoint map example from existing document. This map is manually created by staff at this time

2. Photopoint map example. Red outline is specific to the property and part of a hosted feature layer (example from existing)2. Photopoint map example. Red outline is specific to the property and part of a hosted feature layer (example from existing)

Photopoint images and description. The photopoint images and captions are manually created by staff at this time. The text box below describes how the information corresponds to the form design. The attached XLS form has the rows highlighted in same colors.

3. Photopoint images and description text (example from existing)3. Photopoint images and description text (example from existing)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmm.

I've not tried to call on orderByFields that way. There is a chance it isn't supported since that looks properly formatted.

Same deal for drawingInfo. I haven't tried that variable yet since it isn't something I would typically need. However, what you have in your tests are the same things I would have tried. Given that you tried so many variations and you are seeing those different outputs, I think that it may be worth it if you contacted Esri support so you could jump on a call and have them look in-person.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Map

1.  How do I remove blue pins for selected features from the overview map? I am guessing this is your web map? Would need to create a different view of that web map. You can customize which webmap the Feature Report uses to print. E.g., ${details_muster_point | mapSettings:”a8cd923cd2544252b06333b3e27f8585”:7000 | size:680:280}
  2. I want to include two feature layers from our online org account in the summary map. What's the best way to do that? Do I add those to the survey webmap? Or do I connect the survey results to an existing webmap? If they are just there for show, add them to a web map and then link said map to your survey. If you survey is trying to feed data into those layers, probably better to base your survey off those pre-existing feature layers.

Photopoint Coordinates

• WORKS GREAT!!
Photos
  1. Photo image caption text.  The output formatting is not great. Would be better if could combine all text onto one line. Stuck on property syntax for each image caption. The field for the photo point number is outside of the photo repeat so I’m not sure how to pull it in for the desired formatting. To pull something from outside a repeat into a repeat for a Feature Report, you need to use dot notation (disclaimer: probably not the official name). Start by going to the "Schema" tab. Look in the top left and note what your main Feature Layer is called. E.g., Here, the main layer is called "Form_1"
    abureaux_0-1709329770781.png
    Then, identify the field that is outside the repeat that you want to use. For example, l
    et's use ${photo_point_number}...
    ${#repeat_test}${Form_1.photo_point_number}${/}

I had the idea to just pull that answer down into the repeat in XLS Connect but haven't figured out how to do so yet.
    • I remember seeing something awhile back that highlighted using the form input later in the same form. As in, person puts in Name early on in form and then later in the form it says, “Hey, Name” before the form is submitted
    • Tried making a new row in repeat group in XLS form with calculation field if(${pointnum}!",${pointnum},") but it didn't work when I tried it in a published form source link 
  2. Images split from image caption text . The title for the next image does not stay with image. This isn't a high priority but it'd be nice if there were a way to fix this. This is a word doc formatting thing. A few pointers:
    - Put your images/repeats into tables.
    - Try spacing and sizing items so you always have the same number of items per page (E.g., I set my pages up to accept either 2, 3, or 4 photos max per page, depending on the Feature Report). If you haven't played around with photo sizes yet, go here and look for "Images and Other Attachments".
    - Use word's built-in line break options
    abureaux_1-1709330019852.png
  3. Image size/ratio is inconsistent using take photo vs. browse options. Photo 3 was uploaded and most others were taken directly in app. I prefer the size/ratio of the photo that was uploaded rather than those taken within the app (only testing in Survy123 app because this is how data will be collected) See above. Not much you can do for ratio though.
  4. Photo order. I know you can sort fields in the attribute table to order by a certain field (date, photo point number, etc) but I'd like to have the report template syntax automatically order the photos by photopoint number and then letter (1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 2c etc) because I think some users will struggle to remember that step in Survey123. Check out orderByFields here (same link as above).

When working with photos, don't forget to add getValue:"". E.g., ${project_photo | getValue:"" | size:0:0:400:300}

This ensures the photo is printed in a higher quality. Without that parameter, photos can be super grainy.

admincrew
New Contributor II

Thanks @abureaux !! I'm so.so.so close to having this done and am very grateful.  I'm still stuck on two things:

First, I can't get the summary map of all points in the report to look right. I've been playing around with a ton of permutations based on the info below (source link). 

By default, a map question will display using a default map symbol, regardless of symbology set in the feature layer. You can use thedrawingInfo method to extract and use the drawing information stored in a specific feature layer, including the symbol, label, and transparency used. You can specify this information either from the current layer or from a specific feature layer through a provided URL.

${location | drawingInfo:"currentLayer"}

${location | drawingInfo:"https://.../FeatureServer/0"}

I've attached a word doc trying to track the trial and error outcomes. It's a bit messy but it all ends up that I can't seem to get the desired symbology output (box style point with label of "pointnum"). 

Second, the "dot notation" worked beautifully and allowed me to edit the caption text. It's *perfect*! I tried using it to achieve the desired photo point sorting in a couple ways without success. Am I trying to do something that isn't possible syntax-wise? 

${#images | orderByFields:"Baseline_Collector.pointnum ASC"}${Baseline_Collector.pointnum}${image_alpha | getValue:""}) ${ Baseline_Collector. image_text}. ${image_text2} facing ${photo | getValue:"direction" | round:0} degrees

${#images}${Baseline_Collector.pointnum | orderByFields:"Baseline_Collector.pointnum ASC"}${image_alpha | getValue:""}) ${ Baseline_Collector. image_text}. ${image_text2} facing ${photo | getValue:"direction" | round:0} degrees

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmm.

I've not tried to call on orderByFields that way. There is a chance it isn't supported since that looks properly formatted.

Same deal for drawingInfo. I haven't tried that variable yet since it isn't something I would typically need. However, what you have in your tests are the same things I would have tried. Given that you tried so many variations and you are seeing those different outputs, I think that it may be worth it if you contacted Esri support so you could jump on a call and have them look in-person.