Feature Report Template failing to load web map: failed to load portal item

Jump to solution
10-28-2020 04:45 PM
NickMoore
New Contributor III

Ismael Chivite , James Tedrick and Team

We have been trying to debug feature report templates together with our Portal Administrator Cameron Irvine‌.

We have two new portals on 10.8.1 - We have published some basic surveys (a geopoint and a single question as well as some advanced surveys with nested repeats etc) utilising Survey123 Connect. We have attempted to generate feature report templates with maps however every time we include a geopoint question in the feature report template we get "Failed to print map for ${insp_location}. Error: Failed to load web map: Failed to load portal item" .We have tested the following:

• A default sample template with geopoint as default ${insp_location}
  • A default sample template with geopoint as ${insp_location | mapSettings:" bc4c39e14d3b46549e8b0a53f3be144e":100000} - Where the map has world imagery and the geopoint only
  • A template with no geopoint - this generates fine
  • We have tested with a form to a custom submission url to hosted feature services and also services generated by enterprise - This does not make a difference.
  • It is not survey dependent and is happening with all surveys and all web maps
  • The surveys do not use tile layers as is suggested by this post (Error: Failed to print map for ${}. Failed to load web map: Failed to load portal item )

We have an older portal where the feature report templates all work fine however the new portals are returning these issues.

To us it is as if a cross domain request from the Survey123 website for a portal item is getting blocked by the portal, but there is no visibility of this. Is there anything we can look into or do you have suggestion to get this working?

We would appreciate any direction we can get?

Regards
Nick

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

If you have allow origins enabled you need to add https://s3.amazonaws.com/ as part of the URLs

Ref BUG-000134226

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nick,

There are a few limitations in working with ArcGIS Enterprise.  The error message you are receiving looks to be one that I would expect if the ArcGIS Enterprise system has one of the limitations (not publicly facing, non-public chain of trust SSL certificate).

0 Kudos
NickMoore
New Contributor III

James,

Thanks for the quick response. Both Cameron Irvine‌ and I have discussed and non of those limitations apply to either of those two deployments. Would there be anything else we could look into? 

0 Kudos
CameronIrvine
New Contributor II

Just to reiterate what Nick said the ArcGIS Enterprise in question is exposed publicly to the internet and has a CA signed cert. 

0 Kudos
CameronIrvine
New Contributor II

Hi James, 

Myself and Nick has done some more testing and have isolated the problem explained above. As soon as we add a value into Allow Origins (CORS) in portal limiting the applications domains that can access our Enterprise deployment the error outlined above occurs. If we remove all values from Allow origins its works. I understand that once you a value to the Allow Origins interface it goes from allowing all to only that domain so there must be a domain that is called via the S123 feature report creation that is not obvious to us.  The web map that the report fails on uses an ESRI basemap as well as a service from our Enterprise site. I have tried adding the Survey123 website as well as the ESRI basemaps domain but that doesn't help. It would seem there is a domain that is called as part of the Survey123 feature report creation that needs to be added to the Allow origins. Can you assist us with confirming what that domain is?

Thanks

Cameron

0 Kudos
jesse_CNS
New Contributor

I have the same issue with my ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 deployment (external facing, CA-signed cert), and have added both URLs to the Allow Origins settings. @CameronIrvine once you removed all domains from the Allow Origin settings, the feature report was generated no problem with the geopoint field?https://survey123.arcgis.com 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

If you have allow origins enabled you need to add https://s3.amazonaws.com/ as part of the URLs

Ref BUG-000134226

0 Kudos
jesse_CNS
New Contributor

I ran into the same issue and tried adding the s3 aws URL but still failed to load webmap when generating the geopoint field in survey123 Report...Any suggestions or workarounds?

0 Kudos