Excel export data + related tables for field workers

04-05-2022 06:18 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I'm looking for a workaround that will let field users export their own / other data to excel. 

Currently, ESRI only allows creators to export data from S123, which is really frustrating. 

My options include making a web app (however the csv export doesn't seem to be working). And exporting to an excel table in pro. However i'm not sure these solutions will work for related tables? 

Currently everything is running though AGOL, but it should at some stage be moved to enterprise - not sure if this changes anything. 

Cheers! 

3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My first question is why do they need Excel?  There are more modern options like Ops Dashboard that can do a lot.  People tend to just use Excel since they are used to it.

If it will be in enterprise and SQL is the backend then Excel can hook to SQL live time.  You can have a query right in the connection or have slicers or pivot tables in Excel for the user to filter.

Do you have Office 365?  I simple script to export and update a cloud Excel would work.  I have done this but to google sheets before.  You could also export and dump them on the network, cloud drive, or email them but that sure smells like a 90s workflow.

I do really wish ArcGIS for office could show a Hosted service as a table in Excel but instead it just does maps of Excel data.  I think they build that tool backwards.  I never understood that one.  It would be a huge winner.

Well I hope that helps a bit.  It really should be easier than that.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Doug, it's so the data can be manipulated and transferred to other programs, clients, reports etc. And also due to other users being use to it, yes. 

Currently in AGOL, but hope to move to enterprise  - that's when i'd be keen on some scripts doing as you suggest and updating cloud data on sharepoint 🙂 

I agree about ArcGIS for office, I was excited when I saw it, and disappointed when I used it, mind you maps in power points was cool. 

Looks like an option is to create a dashboard and export to excel (CSV) from there - but this doesn't include related tables like in Survey123 and I haven't figured out filtering. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A script to grab the data, do a join, run export to excel tool, publish to share point should be pretty easy.  Esp in ArcPro.

When you get SQL you link Excel right to it no script needed just a live link.

0 Kudos