Select to view content in your preferred language

Error in submitting surveys

02-02-2024 05:41 AM
ahmad_sidani
New Contributor II

Hello dears,

Hope all is well.

I created a survey last week, and everything was fine, i received more than 10 records. but unfortunately, today many users are facing a problem while submitting :

• Failed to set the 'innerHTML' property on 'Element': The provided markup is invalid XML, and therefore cannot be inserted into an XML document.

Please advise 😞

0 Kudos
9 Replies
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Have to say I haven't seen that error before.

Can you provide the XLSX file for testing?

0 Kudos
ahmad_sidani
New Contributor II

Me too !! never seen this before. 

Also, I received many submissions after this error appears to 2-3 users so i think it is related to a specific question/group.

Thanks for your support

abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Are you on Enterprise?

abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Sorry. I wan't able to proceed for you on this. I have a few points though:

• 'email' isn't a valid 'appearance', so I removed that. If you want to restrict the field into to an email-like format, there is a regex() for that.
  • There were a large number of blank malformed cells, which can cause issues.
    abureaux_0-1706901215573.png
  • There were some groups and repeats with underscores, which isn't a valid "type":
    abureaux_1-1706901381579.png
  • This one is exclusive to Enterprise, but a large number of your 'name' values exceeded 32 characters. I am on Enterprise, so I can't work with these. I was going to shorten them down, but...
  • I noticed a decent number of notes had names exceeding 32 characters. Since notes do not require a 'name', I just deleted anything in the 'name' column for all notes. However, this was when I realized just how many fields had this character limit issue, so I wasn't able to proceed with publishing. Even if you aren't on Enterprise, I'd recommend shortening up your names to be as short and concise as possible (while still being descriptive).

Other than that, I think there is room for a good number of improvements here. Just scanning around:

• The phrase "if none, please put NA" appears a lot for text boxes. If you use a calculate, you can do something like coalesce(${my_text_question},'NA'), and just let the user leave a text field blank. Then, the calc will default to NA for you.
  • You have repeats with a "repeat_count" set, but no visibility rules. You could add something to the "relevant" column to hide unneeded repeats (e.g., ${projects_done_aw}>0)
0 Kudos
chelynnes
New Contributor III

Good tips, but did this fix the issue at hand?

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi @chelynnes 

Are you still experiencing publishing issues on Enterprise? If so, I'd wager that your issues are separate from OPs. If you could provide a description of the error and the XLSX, I'd be happy to have a look.

0 Kudos
chelynnes
New Contributor III
Unfortunately I cannot send/post the actual XLSX file.

We're experiencing this error when the user tries to edit a record from a feature service in a web dashboard. It was the same error.

"Failed to set the 'innerHTML' property on 'Element' : the provided markup is invalid XML, and therefore cannot be inserted into an XML document.

This error message is only present on seemingly random records.
0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Odd indeed. I would suggest contacting Esri support then. They can work with you to resolve the issue, and as it is 1-on-1 with an Esri rep, that should reduce privacy concerns.

0 Kudos
chelynnes
New Contributor III

We're suddenly getting it on enterprise, too. 

0 Kudos