Dynamic select_one choice lists?

Jump to solution
03-25-2019 11:35 AM
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is there any way to use a calculation to pull values from a dynamically generated csv after a survey has been downloaded to the device for use in a select_one choic list? 

We have an external program/process that could update a csv source file that we include in the media folder prior to publishing the survey and interested to know of any way to utilize the values in that csv as a source to a select_one drop down.

Any info is much appreciated!

My csv of values contained in the media folder looks like this:

The survey's XLSForm looks like this:

I want to populate select_one activityLogId with the dalList (or some similar type of approach!)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Looks like cascading selects and external choices may get close to meeting my requirement. https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2015/10/22/cascading-selects-and-external-selects

I'll edit this post with any solution I may come up with.

Edit: Initial attempt seems to satisfy the requirement and I'll be able to automate updating the itemsets.csv with another process to maintain current values. 

Last problem: After a survey has been republished (with updated external list items), the user cannot simply re-download the survey and they must first delete the current version first prior to downloading again (via url link provided).  This is a strange workflow and seems excessive to place that burden on users. 

• Is this normal to have to delete existing surveys to see updated versions?
  • Any way around having to delete or can it be done programmatically somehow?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Looks like cascading selects and external choices may get close to meeting my requirement. https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2015/10/22/cascading-selects-and-external-selects

I'll edit this post with any solution I may come up with.

Edit: Initial attempt seems to satisfy the requirement and I'll be able to automate updating the itemsets.csv with another process to maintain current values. 

Last problem: After a survey has been republished (with updated external list items), the user cannot simply re-download the survey and they must first delete the current version first prior to downloading again (via url link provided).  This is a strange workflow and seems excessive to place that burden on users. 

• Is this normal to have to delete existing surveys to see updated versions?
  • Any way around having to delete or can it be done programmatically somehow?