Hidden geopoint field - Survey123

Jump to solution
01-30-2017 12:42 PM
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to have a hidden geopoint field that is just collected in the background? Possibly a calculate location in a hidden text filed?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The hidden geopoint is only available for the parent form.  Repeats do not have the ability to have a hidden geopoint; you can add a geopoint to the repeat and have it be collected manually (you can restrict it to only capture from the GPS by setting the readonly property to 'yes').

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JamesTedrick

Hi Brent,

Yes, a hidden groping field is built-in to Survey123- simply don't add a geopoint field explicitly.  Survey123 automatically adds a hidden geopoint field that takes the device's location in the background.

BrentKinal1

I have a repeat in my form. Will it capture a location for each record in the repeat? Also is there any way to display the coordinates and calculate and display accuracy?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

The hidden geopoint is only available for the parent form.  Repeats do not have the ability to have a hidden geopoint; you can add a geopoint to the repeat and have it be collected manually (you can restrict it to only capture from the GPS by setting the readonly property to 'yes').

BrentKinal1

I tried the setting to read only but the map still shows and I really don't want to show the map. I would just like to see the coordinates and accuracy? Any thoughts on doing this?

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Brent,

I wanted to share that there is an enhancement which has been logged by technical support that may reflect the functionality that you are looking for.  Please let me know if the synopsis below aligns with what you are looking for, and if you would like me to create a case on your behalf so that we can verify via phone or email.

ENH-000102235 : Survey123 - Provide ability to add multiple 'geopoint' questions in a survey, and have one of them AUTOMATICALLY collect the location information for where the survey was physically taken

Best Regards,

Brandon

0 Kudos
BrentKinal1

Hi Brandon, Thanks for sharing the enhancement idea with me, I am not sure it would necessarily meet my specific need I basically have a form the collects some site information and then has several questions within a repeat (i guess it's kind of like a nested survey) I would like to capture the location each time the user completed the nested survey but I don't need them to see the map I just need the coordinate. Hope this makes sense.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Brent,

Thank you for sharing more about your workflow.  I am sending you a private message which includes my contact information so that we can discuss your needs in further detail. 

Best Regards,

Brandon

0 Kudos
EoinO_Neill
New Contributor

Hi Brandon,

I am looking to do something similar to what Brent mentioned where I have nested repeat questions and would like to record a GPS point that is hidden when using the app. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Eoin

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Eoin,

At this time, the functionality remains the same as what was previously mentioned by James.  It is not currently possible to hide a geopoint that is contained within a repeat.  Having said that, we do hope to support this in the future.  I will make sure to make note of your desired inclusion of the feature.

0 Kudos