Dynamic Field Order - Survey123

Jump to solution
04-04-2022 12:03 PM
jfiacco
New Contributor III

Does anyone know if there is a way to dynamically order survey fields based on a certain selection?

I have a survey where the user selects a particular location, prompting site specific fields to display. My survey users would like to customize the order in which the fields/questions are displayed for each location and the field order for each location is different. Is there a way to dynamically order the fields that are displayed in the survey for the user while keeping the order of the fields the same on the backend? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LaurenceTait
Occasional Contributor II

The simplest way to do this is to have question asking the user what question they want to answer next.

The problem is that ESRI introduced a bug nearly 3 years ago that they won't/can't fix: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey-allowed-to-be-submitted-when-require...

That bug means that if a question is hidden or not relevant,  it can't be evaluated as required. As a result, your users wont be able to see which questions they have answered  but they can't be reminded if they miss questions.

Unfortunately it means that you can't utilise a dynamic field order without risking incomplete forms being submitted. I've attached an example of a survey that should do what you want, but as you will see, it will allow you to upload the survey with all the required fields empty except for the last question.

Sorry, all I can suggest if that you bug ESRI to see if they will fix the bug.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LaurenceTait
Occasional Contributor II

The simplest way to do this is to have question asking the user what question they want to answer next.

The problem is that ESRI introduced a bug nearly 3 years ago that they won't/can't fix: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey-allowed-to-be-submitted-when-require...

That bug means that if a question is hidden or not relevant,  it can't be evaluated as required. As a result, your users wont be able to see which questions they have answered  but they can't be reminded if they miss questions.

Unfortunately it means that you can't utilise a dynamic field order without risking incomplete forms being submitted. I've attached an example of a survey that should do what you want, but as you will see, it will allow you to upload the survey with all the required fields empty except for the last question.

Sorry, all I can suggest if that you bug ESRI to see if they will fix the bug.