Select to view content in your preferred language

Designing a dynamic Survey123 form for unspecified number of subjects

Jump to solution
4 weeks ago
smalickwahls
New Contributor

I am designing a survey to collect data on trees along a transect using ArcGIS online Survey123. The total number of trees will be different for each transect, so I cannot design the form ahead of time for a specified number of questions since I cannot anticipate the total number of trees on each transect line. I am looking for a nested dynamic design so that when a tree is encountered I can "add" it to the ongoing survey for that transect line and then a series of additional questions will be activated to record several characteristics of that specific tree.

My final data would look something like this once it is exported into a CSV for use in R.

Transect Tree TotalHeight TerminalBudLength 1stInternodalLength 2ndInternodalLength etc. 1 1.1 15 5 3 2 ... 1 1.2 20 4 3 1 ...

I welcome specific instructions on how to create this, or ideas on search terms to find instructions. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KenBouchard
Occasional Contributor

Repeats are the way to go.

You'll click on the '+' each time you encounter a tree and you basically have a sub-form to enter info about that tree.  You can add as many as you want! 

Here is a link that explain how to create repeats with Survey123 Connect.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-repeats/ba-p/89804...

Ken

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DuncanC
Occasional Contributor

Repeats are the feature you need, use Survey123 connect. Should be straight-forward to setup the data collection side of things as you want.

To make your output exactly how you want it you could either use Javascript on the survey form to fill a field exactly how you want it.  That only works if it's only members of your organization using the survey.  I likely wouldn't do it that way.  Another option is use a python script or something to process your data into your CSV.  That seems simpler and more reliable to me.

KenBouchard
Occasional Contributor

Repeats are the way to go.

You'll click on the '+' each time you encounter a tree and you basically have a sub-form to enter info about that tree.  You can add as many as you want! 

Here is a link that explain how to create repeats with Survey123 Connect.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-repeats/ba-p/89804...

Ken

0 Kudos
smalickwahls
New Contributor

Great, thanks for your help.