Select to view content in your preferred language

Decision/Result Matrix - Survey123

Jump to solution
09-07-2017 10:45 PM
ChrisRoberts2
Frequent Contributor

I am try to populate/calculate a text field in Survey123 based on the values of two other fields collected as per the matrix in the image below.  For Example: The Surface Hazard Rating is M and the Near Surface Hazard Rating is H, Therefore the Adjusted Surface Hazard Rating will be H. How can I populate/calculate the Adjusted Surface Hazard Rating based on the values of the other two recorded fields?

Assigning a numeric value to the letters and performing a calculation doesn't fit in this case, due to teh way the matrix values are determined

Many Thanks

Chris

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

There doesn't appear to be a simple formula relating the result based on the input; however, you can construct a series of nested if() statements to emulate the behavior:

if(${surf} = "E", "E", if(${surf} = "VH", if(${near} = "L" or ${near} = "M", "VH", "E"), if(${surf} = "H", if(${near} = "L", "H", if(${near} = "E", "E", "VH")), if(${surf} = "M", if(${near} = "L", "M", ${near}), if(${near} = "E", "VH", if(${near} = "VH", "H", if(${near} = "H", "M", "L")))))))

This was ordered by the surface hazard rating, breaking out by that value (E to L):

if(${surf} = "E", "E",
if(${surf} = "VH", if(${near} = "L" or ${near} = "M", "VH", "E"),
if(${surf} = "H", if(${near} = "L", "H", if(${near} = "E", "E", "VH")),
if(${surf} = "M", if(${near} = "L", "M", ${near}),
if(${near} = "E", "VH", if(${near} = "VH", "H", if(${near} = "H", "M", "L")))
))))

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JamesTedrick

Hi Chris,

There doesn't appear to be a simple formula relating the result based on the input; however, you can construct a series of nested if() statements to emulate the behavior:

if(${surf} = "E", "E", if(${surf} = "VH", if(${near} = "L" or ${near} = "M", "VH", "E"), if(${surf} = "H", if(${near} = "L", "H", if(${near} = "E", "E", "VH")), if(${surf} = "M", if(${near} = "L", "M", ${near}), if(${near} = "E", "VH", if(${near} = "VH", "H", if(${near} = "H", "M", "L")))))))

This was ordered by the surface hazard rating, breaking out by that value (E to L):

if(${surf} = "E", "E",
if(${surf} = "VH", if(${near} = "L" or ${near} = "M", "VH", "E"),
if(${surf} = "H", if(${near} = "L", "H", if(${near} = "E", "E", "VH")),
if(${surf} = "M", if(${near} = "L", "M", ${near}),
if(${near} = "E", "VH", if(${near} = "VH", "H", if(${near} = "H", "M", "L")))
))))

Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Frequent Contributor

this would go in the calculate field correct? how much there is limited docs for the calculate field? I didnt even know I could use if statements in there. 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Joe,

Yes, calculate fields can use if() and any other functions - we don't call it out because it works like the other questions in that respect

0 Kudos
ChrisRoberts2
Frequent Contributor

Excellent!

Thank you so much James, this is just what I was after!!

0 Kudos