Decimal field not accepting decimal character in Survey123

12-02-2020 06:03 AM
HanliePretorius
New Contributor III

Hi,

Survey123 Connect 3.11, Windows 10 Enterprise

I'm trying to create a repeat that takes a text value and a decimal value

My computer's regional settings' decimal character is a full stop.

I have set the decimal field's type and binding to decimal.

When I enter a decimal, such as 1.2, it looks as though it's accepted, but when I add another record and come back to the first, the value I typed is gone and the field is just empty.

Entering an integer as the value doesn't have the same effect - it's retained after navigation to other records.

I have not tried to publish the survey, I'm just creating it on my computer for now.

Does anyone know why this would happen? My colleagues don't seem to have the same problem.

Thanks

Hanlie

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndrewBowne
Occasional Contributor III

In your XLSX try setting bind::esri:fieldType to esriFieldTypeDouble

0 Kudos
HanliePretorius
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Andrew.

I tried that but it made no difference - the decimal value still disappears when I navigate from record to record.

I'm considering making them integers and asking the users to multiply their values by 100 just to get on with the job.

Regards

Hanlie

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne
Occasional Contributor III

I grabbed your XLSX file and gave it a try.   I tried to follow your workflow and I don't seem to be experiencing the same problem.  All decimals show when I navigate back/forth.  

Are you using Connect 3.11.123?

0 Kudos
HanliePretorius
New Contributor III

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the video.

My other colleagues also don't experience my problem - hence the frustration. We are not in the US and I suspect it might have something to do with my computer's regional settings, but I don't know exactly what. My tests so far have failed to identify the culprit.

For now I'm using integers and asking the users to insert the factors as 'percentages' - 0.8 should be entered as 80.

Then I divide the user entry by 100 and use the result in my calculations.

I suspect this will be one of those questions that do not have an answer, only a workaround.

Regards

Hanlie

0 Kudos
SaraMiller
New Contributor III

Hi @HanliePretorius,  A couple of my users are experiencing the same error with one of my surveys.  I enter a value with a decimal, it appears to accept it, and it goes through to the data output.  It works coming from both my mobile phone and my laptop.  However, it doesn't work for two of my users from their mobile phones.  Did you ever get this resolved, and if so, how?

Kind regards,

Sara

HanliePretorius
New Contributor III

Hi Sara,

In my case the problem stemmed from a regional setting on my computer. My locale's decimal character is a comma by default, not a full stop. When I vary from the default, I get the behaviour I described above.

I'm not sure if mobile devices have such a setting and whether it's relevant for you. Probably not if you are in the US.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Regards

Hanlie

SaraMiller
New Contributor III

Just an update for completeness - one of my users (based in the UK) had her phone's language settings to Dutch which was resolved by her changing the language to English.  Still not sure why the other user was experiencing the same issue, though.

Sara

0 Kudos