Creating a Survey123 form using an Excel Spreadsheet File

Jump to solution
12-13-2020 07:39 PM
TahirTamba
New Contributor II

Hi,
I'm trying to load an Excel file with 78 columns and 28560 records into Survey123 Connect in order to create a questionnaire based on existing variables in the Excel file.
Unfortunately I get this error message while loading the file:

XLSForm file conversion failed
The survey sheet is either empty or missing important column headers

See the screenshot in attached file.

Any ideas abour this error?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @TahirTamba,

To create a new survey in Connect, if you don't have a XLSform template already, you need to start by using the Standard or Advanced template, or a Sample, to create the base requirement of sheets and columns to get started. Once you have the base template, you can then add question types, names, labels and other more advanced configurations.

If you want to use the exported xlsx file you provided as a choice list so that users can select a value from it (as it appears you exported this from a feature layer or file geodatabase) you will need to copy these values into the choice sheet with a choice list name, value and label, that refers to a select one or select multiple question in the survey sheet. Given the size of the values in your list, you should probably use an external choice list or if you are just wanting to search and return one value, use a pulldata() at CSV calculation.

Please refer to the Survey123 online documentation to get started.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @TahirTamba,

Can you provide a copy of the xlsx file you are trying to open/import into Survey123 Connect?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
TahirTamba
New Contributor II

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your answer! See attached  file with a subset of the Excel spreadsheet file.

Regards,

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @TahirTamba,

To create a new survey in Connect, if you don't have a XLSform template already, you need to start by using the Standard or Advanced template, or a Sample, to create the base requirement of sheets and columns to get started. Once you have the base template, you can then add question types, names, labels and other more advanced configurations.

If you want to use the exported xlsx file you provided as a choice list so that users can select a value from it (as it appears you exported this from a feature layer or file geodatabase) you will need to copy these values into the choice sheet with a choice list name, value and label, that refers to a select one or select multiple question in the survey sheet. Given the size of the values in your list, you should probably use an external choice list or if you are just wanting to search and return one value, use a pulldata() at CSV calculation.

Please refer to the Survey123 online documentation to get started.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
NajmehServatsamarein2
New Contributor III

Hello , 

is it possible to create a survey 123 with an excel sheet? 

0 Kudos
NajmehServatsamarein2
New Contributor III

sure.

0 Kudos
TahirTamba
New Contributor II

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your reply, this is really appreciated!
I thought that the Select an Excel file option allowed loading all kinds of data from which we could design a questionnaire.
Now I understand better that this option allows to load an XLS Form sheet of an already existing form as a template ...
In my case, the most logical choice would be to use an external choice list or just a pulldata ()

Best regards'