Constraints still running on new visible/hidden fields?

09-09-2020 10:19 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have been using the new esri viable column and it has been working great.  

Except today I had a form that would not advance and I could not figure out why.  It seems that constraints still run on fields that are not visible.  But since that field is hidden the form just stops and you have no idea why.

Is this on purpose?  How should this be handled?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Note this is happening with Required as well.  It will even go to a blank page and just sit there.  No message or red box or anything.  User is then stuck.

Seems like a big issue to me and makes this new hidden of little use.  Unless I am missing something?

We have a continuous issue where a user accidentally changes from say Collected to Not Collected and then they lose hours worth of data since relevant clears the fields.  I thought the whole point of visible was for this case.  

I would think this would have come up in testing.  Please advise.

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Doug,

The body::esri:visible column is still a beta feature in 3.10 and not fully supported. It is likely there are still some issues that have to be ironed about and it will be fully supported once it is supported in the web app too. Same applies for the new hidden appearance.

It would be best to log these issues on the Early Adopter Community as they are related to beta features.

Either way, can you please share your xlsx file (and any media folder files) so I can take a closer look, please email them to me. We would expect constraints and all other expressions in any other columns to still run and execute as normal on hidden fields using either hidden appearance or body::esri:visible column. Both of these are simply just hiding the field and labels from the form. I could see that this may cause an issue if the constraint fails and an error needs to be displayed, in this case we would not recommend using constraints and other visual elements on hidden fields.

Regards,

Phil. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Phil I will send it.   

My vote would be to not check the constraint and required on a field that is not visible.  I believe it would be much more useful that way.

thanks