Change in pulldata() from external CSV?

Jump to solution
09-12-2022 10:45 AM
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi -

Has there been a change in the way pulldata() with external content (a CSV hosted in AGOL) works? I did a proof of concept test on August 1, 2022 and had this working perfectly. Now I am attempting to implement and I am seeing a strange behavior. 

My "key" field is a registration number; when that is entered, a person's information is pulled from the CSV into my survey form. Previously when I was testing this in August, the form would be blank until I entered a value and hit "Enter" - then the personal information would appear.

Now, when the survey form is opened and before the registration is entered, a value from the CSV is auto-populating all fields where pulldata() is in use. 

The only change here is the Survey123 version. I am wondering if someone can advise.

Currently using Survey123 Connect version 3.15.175 and the Survey123 Field App at version 3.15.156.

Here are some examples of my pulldata() functions. 

erica_tefft_0-1663004618015.png

Example of what I see when I open a brand new form; notice no registration has been entered, yet information is showing up from the linked CSV:

erica_tefft_1-1663004686673.png

I am baffled... I've reviewed the documentation and think I am doing this properly based on that. Any advice would be appreciative. 

Previously this survey was using pulldata functions with a CSV stored in the media folder. The goal of using external content hosted in AGOL was to eliminate the requirement to republish the survey form when the CSV content changes. It worked perfectly that way... 

Thank you,

Erica
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottBrown1
New Contributor III

Erica,

Check your csv file data.  I've had a similar problem and found that a null value in a column for the lookup was recognized as a value to pull data.  My csv had a blank space with subsequent data to be pulled and was automatically the first to be retrieved upon opening the survey for that reason.  Hopefully, it is something that simple for you.

-Scott

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ScottBrown1
New Contributor III

Erica,

Check your csv file data.  I've had a similar problem and found that a null value in a column for the lookup was recognized as a value to pull data.  My csv had a blank space with subsequent data to be pulled and was automatically the first to be retrieved upon opening the survey for that reason.  Hopefully, it is something that simple for you.

-Scott

erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Scott -

So simple!  I checked my CSV for special characters, but did not notice the 2 records that were blank in my lookup column. Thank you so much!

Erica
0 Kudos