Cascading text field for multiple choice question

Jump to solution
04-19-2018 07:17 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey guys,

I am creating a survey that takes temperature in 4 different aspects; air, surface, 'X depth' and 'Y depth'. We don't necessarily take the temperature of all the aspects of interest. So, I put this question type as 'multiple choice' in the XLSForm. I know that we have the cascading select feature. But in my case, how do I configure this question into a cascading text question? My workflow would be something like:

Temperature > Multiple choice selection: Air, Surface, X Depth, Y Depth > Choose one of the choice and have a cascading text question which I can fill in with the decimal numbers for temperature. 

I know it's a little elementary but I couldn't find a question in the post that really matches to the feature I'd like to use. Any help would be totally awesome

P/S: I'm using Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Azalea,

How about something like the following...

typenamelabelappearancerelevant
select_multiple tempstemp_collectedSelect the temperatures that were collectedminimal
decimaltemp_value_airEnter Temperature Value for Airselected(${temp_collected},'air')
decimaltemp_value_surfaceEnter Temperature Value for Surfaceselected(${temp_collected},'surface')
decimaltemp_value_x_depthEnter Temperature Value for X Depthselected(${temp_collected},'x_depth')
decimaltemp_value_y_depthEnter Temperature Value for Y Depthselected(${temp_collected},'y_depth')

Choices sheet

list_namenamelabel
tempsairAir
tempssurfaceSurface
tempsx_depthX Depth
tempsy_depthY Depth

Brandon

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Azalea,

How about something like the following...

typenamelabelappearancerelevant
select_multiple tempstemp_collectedSelect the temperatures that were collectedminimal
decimaltemp_value_airEnter Temperature Value for Airselected(${temp_collected},'air')
decimaltemp_value_surfaceEnter Temperature Value for Surfaceselected(${temp_collected},'surface')
decimaltemp_value_x_depthEnter Temperature Value for X Depthselected(${temp_collected},'x_depth')
decimaltemp_value_y_depthEnter Temperature Value for Y Depthselected(${temp_collected},'y_depth')

Choices sheet

list_namenamelabel
tempsairAir
tempssurfaceSurface
tempsx_depthX Depth
tempsy_depthY Depth

Brandon

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Heya Brandon!

Thanks! It worked! It didn't at first and I was wondering why. It was cause the screenshot is cut-off. So, I did it as you suggested:

XLSForm

Worked like a charm!:

Survey123 Connect

So, the relevant should be of the cascading decimal or text is:

selected(${name of the multiple choice question}, 'name of the choice')

Thanks! It's nice talking to you again