Select to view content in your preferred language

Capturing photos in Survey123 and using in Orientated Imagery widget

Jump to solution
06-20-2023 12:54 PM
DevinCarlson
New Contributor II

Is it possible to use Survey123 (connect) to capture photos the same way that QuickCapture does - so that the photos can be viewed with the Orientated Imagery Widget in Experience Builder?

My understanding is that I am not able to use QuickCapture because I am trying to collect photos of a point feature that is related to a polygon feature layer.

The general idea is that a polygon is set up to represent a construction site.  This project is to try to utilize ArcGIS Online (not in an Enterprise environment) to conduct daily construction site inspections.  The polygon construction site is the parent record.  I have related tables established for daily inspections, quantities, punch list items, and contacts.  I also created a point feature for photos that is related to the construction site polygon.  I assumed that I had to make this a point so that the photo could capture the metadata needed to view in the orientated imagery widget.  Ultimately, I would like to see when, where, direction, etc. of all photos taken at a construction site on a map.

Or am I thinking about this incorrectly?  Do photos from a construction site even need to be related to a parent record?  Is quickcapture still appropriate in this application?  I'm stuck thinking about the best way to set this up so that a project that will ultimately capture many photos is easy for the Project Manager to view and understand these photos.

Any discussion/feed back/ideas is appreciated!

Has anyone ever used AGOL to set up construction site inspections?  @IsmaelChivite 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Bringing Oriented Imagery capabilities, similar to what is already available in QuickCapture, is still in our backlog, but not available yet.  From what you describe I do not see why QuickCapture could not do the trick.

You could have your photos automatically be associated (related) with your polygon based on geography. That is, if you take a photo within a construction site, the photo would be related to that construction site. The relate can be done either through a webhook, python script, or arcade function. 

Happy to discuss in more detail. Email quickcapture@esri.com to go over the details.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Bringing Oriented Imagery capabilities, similar to what is already available in QuickCapture, is still in our backlog, but not available yet.  From what you describe I do not see why QuickCapture could not do the trick.

You could have your photos automatically be associated (related) with your polygon based on geography. That is, if you take a photo within a construction site, the photo would be related to that construction site. The relate can be done either through a webhook, python script, or arcade function. 

Happy to discuss in more detail. Email quickcapture@esri.com to go over the details.

DevinCarlson
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply @IsmaelChivite .  I will reach out the quickcapture group to discuss more. 

Appreciate it!

Adam_Inglis
New Contributor II

Do you have a timeline for adding oriented imagery capabilities into Survey123?

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I vote for this also.  I was able to process all my historic photos into Orientated Imagery features but I did have to let it make some assumptions vs the actual Exif info.  Most of our photos are straight terrestrial shots at ground level so it came out ok.