Select to view content in your preferred language

Can you see results of Calculate field or help with a secondary calcuation

Jump to solution
02-21-2023 09:12 AM
RachaelMurtaugh
New Contributor III

I'm making a survey where I have a few calculate fields, but I'd like to be able to see those fields or see a final result. I have the sum of the numbers of different invertebrates found in a stream which then coordinate to an index rating(Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor). I want the sum to be an automatic calculation. Then I either need the output to be visible so they can select the index rating or have it automatically calculate the final index based on the value ( >22 Excellent, 17-22 Good, 11-16 Fair,<11 Poor). I can't seem to get the calculate field properly written to automatically rate based on the index sum. My IF statements aren't working. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

Without seeing your XLS we can't help you with your If statements. I would change your question type from calculation to text or integer (depending on your data). That way you can see what value your calculation is returning. Once it is working, you can change it back to a calculate question, or change the appearance to hidden (if you want to record the calculated value in your data). 

- Jen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

Without seeing your XLS we can't help you with your If statements. I would change your question type from calculation to text or integer (depending on your data). That way you can see what value your calculation is returning. Once it is working, you can change it back to a calculate question, or change the appearance to hidden (if you want to record the calculated value in your data). 

- Jen
0 Kudos
RachaelMurtaugh
New Contributor III

I didn't realize you could put in a calculation and not have it be a calculate field type. Thanks! Keeping it as an integer is perfect. 

0 Kudos
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

The calculation question type ensures that it is hidden and not recorded in your data. Which is useful if you're using that calculation to drive something else in your survey but the value in and of itself isn't needed. 

Calculations can be applied to a variety of question types, but by default are not hidden and are recorded in your data. This is useful if you want users to see the calculation value or record the calculation in your data. It is also helpful when troubleshooting why your calculate question isn't working as expected. You can force these question types to be hidden and/or not recorded using the hidden appearance and the null fieldtype.

- Jen