Can Survey123 Features Automatically Populate ArcGIS Online Map?

03-09-2021 07:39 PM
GarrettRSmith
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

This might be a simple question, but I cannot find any answer anywhere.

First, how do you add the feature layer that is connected from a geopoint question in a survey to an ArcGIS Online map that is also being used in the Survey123 survey that I am designing? That might be confusing.

In my survey users collect locations (points). I was wondering if this can be added to the default online map that the survey is linked to so that people will not sample the same site? And if so, will it update automatically when an observation is collected?

Thanks for any help and have a great night,

Garrett

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

I may be wrong, but based on what I read here Include a map in your survey , you can only create a blank map with a customisable Basemap option for collecting locations. If it is possible, it might be using a more advanced design tool (which I know nothing of - my Survey123 experience is not overly in-depth). 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
0 Kudos
Anneka_France

Hi @GarrettRSmith. Here's the step-by-step instructions:

1. Create a web map in ArcGIS online that contains your Survey123 point layer.
  2. In Survey123 Connect, open your survey form (it will open on the form preview tab) and then navigate to the 'Linked Content' tab at the bottom of the screen.
  3. At the top there is a '+ Link content' button.
  4. Click on the button and select 'Online map' from the options.
  5. Search for and select the map you made in step 1 using the name or item ID.
  6. Click OK. 
  7. Now go to the 'Map' tab and click on the basemap icon on the right-hand side of the map preview.
  8. The map you added to the 'Linked Content' tab should appear as an option.
  9. Select your map and re-publish the survey.
  10. The map in your survey should now show the existing locations and your online map will automatically update as new records are submitted!
Anneka France
Technical Manager at The Rivers Trust
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Good to see there is a way and it doesn't look too complicated either!

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
0 Kudos