Adding a thumbnail using Survey123 web designer

03-15-2018 08:18 AM
ShaneClarke
Esri Contributor

Is there a way to use Survey123 web designer to add a thumbnail so that it displays in the Survey123 apps? Or do I HAVE to use Survey123 Connect? I hope not!!

20 Replies
OscarSepulveda_III
Occasional Contributor

Ismael Chivite or Brandon Armstrong  any updates on my post from June 20, 2018?  Unable to set thumbnail for web designer either during development or AGOL.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Oscar,

We are still investigating this one, however, as a workaround you can download the survey to Survey123 Connect, add a thumbnail there, and then republish.

0 Kudos
AurelieShapiro
Occasional Contributor II

I have done both - added the thumbnail online, it downloads, but doesn't show up in the app (which I also just deleted and re-installed on android). Then I put it in Survey123, re-published, it's online but still doesn't show up in the app. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has there been any progress with this issue? I am still having the same problem. I have tried adding the thumbnail online, to the feature service, in connect etc. Every time the thumbnail disappears, I have older surveys that the thumbnail has worked for so I am not sure what has changed. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

Some work has been done to ensure thumbnails are updated. Can you provide an example of a thumbnail file that is not working?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

James,

I have found that adding a thumbnail picture only works if you add the image as a thumbnail to the Form that is created when you first publish a survey to AGOL. No matter how many times I have tired to republish a survey with a thumbnail from Connect it never works, when I try to add the thumbnail online it disappears right away. Only adding the photo to the thumbnail of the Form created for each survey has worked for me. Im happy to have found a way that works but it is confusing why the obvious places do not work.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

Republishing a form with an updated thumbnail does work.  Can you describe a step-by-step procedure for a process that you are seeing not work?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi James,

In my current version of survey123 3.7.60 Connect, if I select a .jpg as a thumbnail when I publish the survey to AGOL and go to survey123.com the thumbnail is gone, if I add the same image to the thumbnail on the published survey on survey123.com the thumbnail disappears after refreshing the page. The ONLY way I have been able to get the thumbnail to stick, is to use the image as the thumbnail for the Form that is made on AGOL when you publish a survey. Once the form has the thumbnail, the image sticks across all locations. 

Step by step

(in survey123 connect desktop)

1. add .jpg as thumbnail to survey

2. publish survey

3. check survey on survey123.com

4. Thumbnail gone

(on survey123.com)

1. click on stock thumbnail for survey

2. direct to file path with desired .jpg (same .jpg as before)

3. save thumbnail

4. refresh page

5. thumbnail gone

(in AGOL)

1. Navigate to Form created when survey is published

2. click stock thumbnail for form

3. navigate to same .jpg

4. choose and save thumbnail

5. refresh page

6. thumbnail with correct .jpg is saved on AGOL, Survey123.com, Survey123 Connect, and Survey123 IOS app

Either way I have got the thumbnail to stick, but it would be nice if it worked correctly in the obvious places (thumbnail in connect, thumbnail on survey123.com)

Thanks James

JohnBickmore
New Contributor III

I have just spent an hour trying to get a thumbnail to stick to a survey

Adding in the form overview was the only way that worked

MatthewMalone
Occasional Contributor

I've never tried it in Connect, but here I am three years after your post and using the thumbnail for the form in AGO worked great. 👍

0 Kudos