Add Note to each Select_Multiple

02-14-2022 11:58 AM
hherrmann_coj
Occasional Contributor

Hello all.  I am in the newbie phase of learning Survey123 Connect and am having a blast with it so far for custom form making.  I have spent a lot of time on Google as I try to do more in the desktop application but I'm having trouble finding a solution for my issue so I thought I'd reach out here.  Since I'm a visual person, I have included screenshots in hopes of helping anyone who is able to provide some advice.

I have created a "select_multiple" question for violations in my inspection form.  My initial plan was to just list all of the violations and the reference to the violation standard just like it shows on the Word document form but I think I'd like to have a note under each violation that shows the standard/rule (the NC numbers) reference in order to keep the form a bit cleaner on a mobile device such as a cell phone.  Any advice you can offer would be awesome!

Paper form violation examples:

hherrmann_coj_0-1644868559927.png

Survey tab:

hherrmann_coj_1-1644868626706.png
Choices tab (haven't finished the labels, yet):

hherrmann_coj_2-1644868691340.png

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer.  🙂

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Gah, I wanted to respond with a helpful tip but I did some testing myself and kept running into limitations with the software. Here were some of my ideas:

• Use the Guidance Hint column to allow users to click an icon for additional information
    • The pop-up hint box will only display a limited amount of characters and doesn't support newlines (as far as I could tell) so it wouldn't work for your use case
    • you could potentially include an image in this field but if it's a large image it may be cut off since resizing the pop-up isn't supported
  • I tried HTML formatting with the <sub> tag so that maybe the code names could be subscript after the main text, but that tag isn't supported

Sorry I couldn't be more help....if you brainstorm some more I'd be interested to hear what you decide to do!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
hherrmann_coj
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for your ideas!  I will definitely take a stab at them and see how it works!  I'm really enjoying creating these forms but I am finding some challenges with the application functionality for super customization.  Hopefully over time, ESRI will start to address some of these ideas to make it easier for us to accomplish what we hope to.  

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Your comment made me curious and I searched about HTML/CSS customization in Survey123....and I had my question answered.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/create-and-style-forms-using-css/m-p/729906

It's not HTML based so it can't be styled using CSS, but looks like you can get a lot more customization using AppStudio and basically make a custom version of Survey123! I don't know if I'm quite "there" yet as far as my Developer skills (still consider myself a newbie to *maybe* intermediate level) but I look forward to experimenting with that more one day myself! 🙂

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
hherrmann_coj
Occasional Contributor

How cool is that?!?!  I may have to get in there and play around, too when I have some free time.  Thanks for the share!  Great information to have!

0 Kudos