Select to view content in your preferred language

User Generated Dynamic Choice Lists from Repeat Answers

10-05-2023 03:06 PM
Labels (2)
JohnDanahy
New Contributor II

Hi All, 

I have looked for this functionality but have not been able to find it so thought I would add it as an idea. If this is possible right now, I would love to learn how.

Using survey 123 Connect, I would like to have a way of generating a dynamic list of "choices" that is populated with answers from a previse text questions, potentially in a repeat. Essentially, I want a function that allows users to build there own pick-list and be able to use it later in the same survey. Having this list be user generated within the survey from survey answer is the key, as we already have functions to pull lists from external tables and data sources with Search() and Pulldata().

How I am trying to implement this is a data request form. Users will provide there own area of interest (AOI) shapes with custom names (i.e. cedar river, north field, and site 5) at the beginning of the form in a repeat. When the user is picking their the data types they need, they can select from a pick list what AOIs that applies to (i.e. imagery for cedar river and north field. LiDAR for north field and site 5). I'm sure there are lots of way to work around this with the current tools but functionality I am describing would be useful in a bunk of ways.

Another option would be the ability to calculate a value into the "name" and "labels" coulombs of the "choices" wordsheet so lists could be made from user inputs. if calculations were supported in these fields then more creative solutions to building dynamic choice list could be use (i.e. using a join() function to collate a repeats values, then building a list from then using regex). 

JohnDanahy_0-1696542438155.png

Thanks!

1 Comment
DougBrowning

I have seen regex work for this actually.  Did you see this post from last week?  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/refer-to-repeat-entry/m-p/1333755

I agree though now that the lists are stored in the SQLite DB it should be possible.  The one I have been pushing for years is I want the list to track the number of times a choice has been made and then sort on that.   The team said it should be possible but not done yet.

Hope that helps