Select to view content in your preferred language

How to calculate a workday in survey 123

03-22-2019 03:31 PM
DannielaCardenas
Occasional Contributor
5 2 2,122

Hi! I would like to share a little solution that I made on my own, to help other people and to receive commentaries about it.

In our project sometimes the people will fill a survey in a holiday (in Colombia we have many), at Sunday or after work hours; but we needed to calculate the next workday to register the exact day that the office received the information. Therefore I had to make some calculations to add a day if the hour was after 4 pm, or add # days when we have holidays or if it Sunday, but also I had to make double-check to see if the result of the calculation was another holiday or a Sunday, and add more days. Part of the inspiration came from a response by James Tedrick‌ in the question Weekday Date Calculation

I will show you three examples (in a world where the office does not open at Saturdays nor Sundays:

I won't display the sheet because too long is, but it is attached - feel free to use it

1) today is Wednesday at 4:17pm

2) today is Friday at 4:23pm and we have holiday on Monday

3) today is Wednesday 17 of April at 4:21pm and in Colombia 18 and 19 are holidays

To make it, I made some formulas that I am going to upload and I had a cvs. with the holidays of Colombia (so I used pull data).

Now I would like to make these calculations better. For example, I do not want to have 20 lines of code, maybe there is a way to make it shorter. And Second, I had to repeat the formulas to make this double-check to prevent us to have as a final date a holiday, but I would know if there is a way to make it more beautiful.

Have a nice weekend!

Maybe there was already a solution to this problem and I only lost 2 days of my life, I hope no 😕

2 Comments
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Cuarta, thanks for sharing, this is great content and will hopefully help many other who have similar questions.

Phil.

ChaimSchwartz4
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for sharing, I was looking into the same question so it was helpful to see your approach!