Select to view content in your preferred language

Direct GNSS external receiver support in Survey123 3.3

03-05-2019 09:00 AM
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor
11 64 30K

To date, many users who require high accuracy location capture have found ways to do so with Survey123 – typically by using additional software to make the position from their external receiver output data through to their device’s internal position source. From version 3.3 onward, Survey123 can directly communicate with many external GNSS receivers, significantly improving both the connection experience and the quality of data captured.

The most common type of receiver available for Survey123 users is a Bluetooth GNSS receiver, but you can also connect to USB receivers and receivers that are available over a network connection. The key requirement is that the receiver outputs NMEA sentences.

In general, direct GNSS support is the same in Survey123 on all platforms (Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, Ubuntu) but for iOS we also need to liaise with each hardware manufacturer individually. So far we have worked with our friends at Bad Elf, Eos, Leica and SXBlue to ensure that Survey123 on iOS will work with their receivers. If you have other receivers that you need to use with Survey123 on iOS please let us know, but in the meantime, please get started by using your receiver with Windows or Android.

Prepare for high-accuracy data collection

Before choosing to use an external receiver with your survey, think about what additional metadata you need to display or collect. In some cases, it might be enough to incorporate accuracy into a constraint so that data cannot be captured unless a certain level of accuracy is met.

In other cases, you may want to show the accuracy on the survey so the user can decide what to do, and in others, you might want to just capture all the data behind the scenes showing nothing to the user and keeping it for someone to analyze at a later data.

You can use note, decimal or hidden questions to show or store metadata values in a survey. For more information see https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/high-accuracy-prep.htm

Connect your receiver to your device

Steps to connect:

1. Turn on your receiver and place it near your device.
  2. Go to your devices Bluetooth settings, and wait for your receiver’s name to appear in the list.
  3. Tap the receiver to pair it with your device.

Warning: During our testing, we have found the biggest contributor to success (or failure) when using an external receiver, is connection to your device. Whilst you’re testing you may be tempted to try connection on a few devices, possibly swapping receivers around. If you have having any trouble connecting within Survey123 – we strongly recommend checking the Bluetooth connection in your device settings. Most receivers will only connect to one device at a time – take a look around your office and be sure no one else is trying to connect to your receiver!

Of course, in the real world these issues shouldn’t arise – typically you will have one receiver that you connect to one device - but it’s hard not to tinker with new toys in the office before going out in the field and I wouldn’t want experimentation to be your downfall!

Configure Survey123 to use the receiver

Steps to configure:

1. Open Survey123 and on the main menu choose Settings
  2. Choose Location
  3. Choose Add Provider, and wait for your connected receiver’s name to appear in the list
  4. Tap the receiver to add it

Once the receiver is selected you are shown the settings for that receiver. You can give it a recognizable name, change how you are alerted when a connection is poor or is lost, and configure antenna height and preferred altitude measurements. We have found changing the name very useful, we all have our preferred alerts and once you set up your hardware on a pole, the antenna height is great to set and forget. Altitude is a tricky one – frankly - only touch this if you really know what your doing. In most cases, the external receiver will sort this out for you.

Go back to the location page and see that your receiver is now connected.

If you want to see more information about the data being received, press the satellite icon in the title bar. This icon is also visible whilst you’re in the survey. Here you get three pages: location data, skyplot and the NMEA data stream.

Use external receiver to capture location in a survey

This is the easy part. Once your receiver is connected, location is captured in exactly the same way in a survey as before. Only now you might notice the satellite icon flashing in the title bar. The satellite icon changes based on it the connectivity state. This icon initially only displays a satellite, adding three beams when searching for a position.

When positions are being received, the satellite periodically blinks.

We have had feedback where users have captured data and their location was unexpectedly captured at location 0,0. Waiting just a brief moment longer – until the satellite icon is blinking - will ensure you get a reasonable location recorded even when you don’t have a geopoint question in your survey.

Accuracy reporting

Some organizations require reporting of the accuracy of location data to specific standards. You can use Survey123 to report whatever metadata (and subsequent accuracy calculations) you like. The attached sample survey demonstrates how to not only record the 95% confidence interval of a location, but also to constrain location capture to only when a minimum accuracy is achieved. The calculations in this survey are based upon conversion factors from the National Standard for Spatial Data Accuracy (pages 3-10 and 3-11).

RTK and post processing

This section is intended to point you right back to the GNSS hardware supplier of your choice. In some cases, hardware suppliers will direct you to use an app on your device to process the positions before they are passed through to Survey123. In these cases, you will need to continue using the internal location provider setting in Survey123.  The GNSS hardware suppliers’ app will pass the corrected location information through to Survey123 where you would record the corrected information. In these cases, there may be limited metadata you can record in the survey.

Some GNSS hardware outputs all available information through their NMEA data stream and you can extract the metadata into your survey for analysis at a later data.

For post-processing, you may also need to save additional files from your receiver along with the metadata that you can record in Survey123. Please check your post processing solution of choice for what data will be required.

Tags (3)
64 Comments
TimothyKing3
Regular Contributor

Hi Marika!   Is the Trimble Catalyst DA1 able to work with Survey123?  I can get it to work with Collector Classic on Andoroid, but can't seem to figure it out with new Collector or Survey123.

Thanks!

MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tim

You should be able to use the Catalyst with those apps - the locations from Catalyst update those delivered through the internal service provider so you shouldn't need to to any configuration in Survey123.

We've has some questions about the value of MSL reported - see Getting MSL with Trimble Catalyst in Survey123 . Not sure what's happening there - we need to do some testing to figure out if somethings wrong.

Regards Marika

Viny
by
Occasional Explorer

Hello, Is the simpleRTK2Blite receiver supported or will it be in Survey123 ? I mean with RTK correction 

Csilla_Varga
Emerging Contributor

Hello Everyone,

Is there anyone here having issues when connecting Survey123 to a Topcon HiPER VR receiver via Bluetooth?

What we do: We go to my Android device's Bluetooth settings and wait for my receiver's name to appear in the list but my cellphone asks for a password (of the receiver, possibly) we don't know about.
(The receiver's name doesn't even appear in the list when trying to connect from an iOS device.)

Please help!

AlexBwogi
New Explorer

Hi my people, i am having trouble connecting Garmin GPSMAP 64s handhelp gps device to survey 123 App, on Android Samsung Galaxy Tab A, and aslo tried with An IOS device.

any help will be helpful, j have three devices non has accepted

SeanNagy1
Regular Contributor

Is anyone able to connect the Trimble DA2 to Survey123? I can setup the bluetooth connection but the app will not connect to the GNSS antenna to get location information. I have even setup Trimble Mobile Manager with a mock location and still no connection.

PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

@SeanNagy1 not sure what to suggest to fix it, however, I can report that it is working for us. Our setups are using Survey123 3.17.68 on iOS 16.5 devices, DA2 firmware 1.51, and Trimble Mobile Manager 3.1.1.22.

SeanNagy1
Regular Contributor

Thank you. I had thought I needed to set up a new antenna profile like in Field Maps instead of realizing it was using the mock location through Trimble Mobile Manager as part of the internal antenna so works fine now.

KellyCrandall
New Explorer

Hi, would Survey123 be compatible with the Columbus P-7 Pro Submeter GNSS receiver? Thanks! 

AlmaA
by
Emerging Contributor

Hello,

I have an Android phone and am trying to connect to my CHCNAV receiver.  CHCNAV i73 receiver works in conjunction with the HCE320 handheld data controller.

I first connected the (i73) receiver to the CHCNAV HCE320 handheld data controller via Bluetooth.  I then connected my Android phone to the data controller also via Bluetooth.  These connected successfully.  However, the data controller does not show up under the Survey123 choices under "add location provider" > Bluetooth.  

I also tried connecting my phone directly to the i73 receiver but was unsuccessful.  I know CHCNAV does support NMEA0183 output, so in theory it should be compatible with Survey123.

Anyone have any experience with CHCNAV products & Survey123?

many thanks!

JerryBartz
Frequent Contributor

Hi Alma,

Yes, there are articles that document that Survey 123 supports CHCNAV with a NMEA output. The use is mentioned in this classic article:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/direct-gnss-external-receiver-support-in-survey1....

AlmaA
by
Emerging Contributor

@JerryBartz thanks for the reply! the link you provided takes me to this same blog.  is there another article that you meant to link to?

JerryBartz
Frequent Contributor

Hi Alma,

Here is another article that documents that Survey 123 supports CHCNAV.  

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey123-accuracy-reporting/td-p/1070352

I was hesitant on citing the above reference because the above article discusses accuracy problems. Good accuracy with Collector and Field Maps but there is an accuracy problem when the data are used in Survey123. The accuracy problem is probably a coordinate transformation problem. I have been advised that external GNSS receivers may not be the best way to perform coordinate transformation. But that is another topic of discussion.

Nonetheless, the articles confirm that CHCNAV can be used with Survey123..   

AlmaA
by
Emerging Contributor

Do you know if Survey123 can act as a TCP Client?

CHCNAV instructed that settings such as shown in the picture below are required in order for the i73rover and the Survey123 app to successfully connect.  

微信图片_20230629094606.pngDo you know if the Survey123 app can act as a TCP Client?

CHCHNAV sent me the following screenshot as an example of the settings