Web Maps Not Displaying in StoryMaps

Jump to solution
06-27-2022 07:32 AM
jfischer91
New Contributor III

We're creating a Story Map with ArcGIS Story Maps, and everything was working fine until last Friday it seems; now, whether viewing the Story Map in Chrome or Edge, certain web maps will not display. Or, they'll display after clearing your browser cache upon first load but then disappear after a while. The behavior is the same whether editing or previewing the Story Map. I'm guessing it's related to the update esri pushed a few days ago?  Is anyone else having this experience, and have you found a workaround?  I'm wondering if it's related to if the web map was authored in Classic Map Viewer or the new one, but I haven't tested it fully to know for sure.

Example screenshot of what I mean attached.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Update: Jun 28 6:15pm ET

We have isolated the cause of this issue to a bug in a dependent technology that was updated late last week ArcGIS StoryMaps. We have communicated this to the appropriate team and a fix is in progress.

There are two parts to our response:

1. A fix for the underlying bug has been found and is in review/testing. It looks like it will be able to be addressed in a planned ArcGIS Online patch tomorrow evening (Jun 29).

2. Since this issue is seriously affecting a number of StoryMaps, we have also decided to temporarily rollback the change that was made last week that caused this issue. This was just completed, so the affected stories should now be working again. We have verified many of the stories whose links were provided in this thread are working again, but it would also be helpful if anyone with an affected story could please comment here to verify whether they are still observing the issue or whether it has been resolved. Also, please comment on whether the issue is addressed in the builder that some of you were seeing.

Please note, the rollback mentioned in #2, above, will also temporarily remove some new functionality that was introduced in the ArcGIS Online release last week. Features such as pie chart renderers and weather effects in web scenes will not be available in ArcGIS StoryMaps. See this article for details of what features are affected. Once the underlying bug is addressed tomorrow night (Jun 29) these features will be restored and work again in ArcGIS StoryMaps.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

YelenaCummings
New Contributor II

OMG,  it is working now! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

YoannPalacio
New Contributor II

It's ok here.  Thank you! Merci!

64 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@jfischer91 -- I apologize that you are seeing an issue with maps loading in your story. We haven't heard any other reports of issues like this, and nothing similar has shown up in our testing. You should be able to use web maps from the classic or new map viewer in stories.

Can you share the link to your story (if it's public)? If it's not public, please contact Esri Support and they can help you troubleshoot this issue with your story.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
YoannPalacio
New Contributor II

I have the same trouble. I can't edit map, I can't add a new address, and when I publish it map doesn't display either.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/e7ea17d657be49f8b895c38472bf61f2

I quit the editor, reload it, and it worked. Then I wanted to change another thing, and the map had disapeared again.

That's frustrating..

Any solutions?

EDIT: here's a snapshot of the page

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We are having the exact same issue with our StoryMap that we have spent weeks putting together for our final project in our GIS program at Fleming College. It worked perfectly until Thursday evening of June 23rd and hasn't been the same since - our images and text are fine but the maps have vanished since what we assume was an update as all of our materials are public and can still be accessed as items in AGOL. Sometimes Storymaps lets us refresh to actually see the maps, but it got worse today and now even refresh isn't working- we just have blank spots where maps should be. Our school has placed a ticket and we are hoping it will work by Thursday morning - it's our last day of the program and our open house. Not the most stress free timing for sure! Thought I would chime in as it is definitely not an isolated issue, seems to be storymap specific and from the looks of this thread hit most of us late last week!

Fingers crossed for Thursday!

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Anonymous User -- Thanks for letting us know you are also experiencing this issue. Getting this issue addressed as soon as possible is currently our team's top priority, and I apoligize for the impact it has had for you and others affected.

While the vast majority of stories are working as expected, there are a number that are affected by this issue, as noted in this thread.

If you could please share links to any publicly shared affected stories that will assist our testing efforts.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @OwenGeo ,

This is the link to our public product that is affected. https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/ca13dab7668c4af59d6ea78244747997

The Fleming College GIS Open house runs Thursday morning with 200 guests so hoping for a miracle here after months of work.
Thanks and best,
Amanda

0 Kudos
rebeccanewell
New Contributor II

I am having the same issues with my story maps not drawing.  specifically these are maps that are within the new story map within side car and map tour.  

0 Kudos
YelenaCummings
New Contributor II

Owen, our webmaps for storymaps were made in the new viewer, but all our storymaps that worked perfectly before June 22, are missing the webmaps in them now

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/a08e37bad23e4e8185e627899214a896

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@YelenaCummings -- That story doesn't appear to be shared with everyone, so I can't see it. If you can share it we can use it in our testing.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos