Web Maps Not Displaying in StoryMaps

Jump to solution
06-27-2022 07:32 AM
jfischer91
New Contributor III

We're creating a Story Map with ArcGIS Story Maps, and everything was working fine until last Friday it seems; now, whether viewing the Story Map in Chrome or Edge, certain web maps will not display. Or, they'll display after clearing your browser cache upon first load but then disappear after a while. The behavior is the same whether editing or previewing the Story Map. I'm guessing it's related to the update esri pushed a few days ago?  Is anyone else having this experience, and have you found a workaround?  I'm wondering if it's related to if the web map was authored in Classic Map Viewer or the new one, but I haven't tested it fully to know for sure.

Example screenshot of what I mean attached.

72 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@YelenaCummings -- Please see this update from last night.

Solved: Re: Web Maps Not Displaying in StoryMaps - Page 4 - Esri Community

Can you please clarify whether your stories are working as expected again now after the update we made yesterday evening?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
YelenaCummings
New Contributor III

OMG,  it is working now! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

esshadle
New Contributor

Hello, I am experiencing this very thing currently. Help?

Ellen Shadle

0 Kudos
rebeccanewell
New Contributor II

also, in another side car built with an express map and there is no option in this instance to do anything with a legend. 

rebeccanewell_0-1656448466504.png

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Update: Jun 28 6:15pm ET

We have isolated the cause of this issue to a bug in a dependent technology that was updated late last week ArcGIS StoryMaps. We have communicated this to the appropriate team and a fix is in progress.

There are two parts to our response:

1. A fix for the underlying bug has been found and is in review/testing. It looks like it will be able to be addressed in a planned ArcGIS Online patch tomorrow evening (Jun 29).

2. Since this issue is seriously affecting a number of StoryMaps, we have also decided to temporarily rollback the change that was made last week that caused this issue. This was just completed, so the affected stories should now be working again. We have verified many of the stories whose links were provided in this thread are working again, but it would also be helpful if anyone with an affected story could please comment here to verify whether they are still observing the issue or whether it has been resolved. Also, please comment on whether the issue is addressed in the builder that some of you were seeing.

Please note, the rollback mentioned in #2, above, will also temporarily remove some new functionality that was introduced in the ArcGIS Online release last week. Features such as pie chart renderers and weather effects in web scenes will not be available in ArcGIS StoryMaps. See this article for details of what features are affected. Once the underlying bug is addressed tomorrow night (Jun 29) these features will be restored and work again in ArcGIS StoryMaps.

Owen Evans
DanielStoelb
Occasional Contributor III

Just checked our apps and they appear to be working again.

jfischer91
New Contributor III

Hi Owen,

Our Story Map appears to be fully functional again, both in builder and published modes, viewed in Edge and Chrome.  I'll monitor them over the next few days as you push the update tonight and confirm everything continues to work as expected. 

Big thanks to you and your team for fixing this so quickly, looks like I'm one among many grateful customers today!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Update: Jun 29, 5:15pm ET

One change to the information in the last paragraph, above: ArcGIS StoryMaps will update tomorrow evening (Jun 30)—instead of tonight (Jun 29)—to deploy new capabilities. 

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
JocelynTutak
New Contributor II

Our partner's StoryMap that we built for them is still having issues, and I wonder if it is related to this or something else.

Different users are noticing different issues, but in general, they are being asked to sign into AGOL unexpectedly. This StoryMap was published some time ago and this is new behavior. Some are seeing this prompt over all sections of the StoryMap; I am see it on the maps (see picture below) in Firefox and Chrome. Once I click cancel, the map loads as expected.

Help?

JocelynTutak_1-1656701178479.png

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@JocelynTutak -- Sorry you are seeing an issue with your story. That is a story created with the classic Cascade template, so it's definitely not the same issue described in this thread. (We usually try to handle discussions about the classic templates over in the Classic Esri Story Maps Questions board, if possible. But that's not a problem, I'm just mentioning it in case you didn't know about it. 🙂 )

There's at least one web map in that story that has at least one layer that isn't shared publicly. There may be others, but just trying to open that map in the map viewer prompts me to log in, so this doesn't appear to be an issue caused by the story.

Owen Evans