StoryMap only opens when using Developer Tools

08-12-2021 09:11 AM
RichardTuinstra1
New Contributor

I have an StoryMap that used to work fine but now refuses to load with any browser (cleared cache etc.) . I have ran the Esri tool that checks the StoryMap but it sees no errors. The weird thing, at least for me, is that the site will load successfully either in Edge or Chrome when I open up the Developer Tools in the browser. Any ideas of what the issue might be and how this can be resolved?

Thanks,

Richard Tuinstra

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@RichardTuinstra1 -- I'm sorry you're encountering an issue with one of your stories. Can you try clearing your browser cache and/or try Firefox or Safari? Sometimes Edge/Chrome don't use the cache when dev tools are open, so that's the only thing that comes to mind.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend that you contact Esri Tech Support and they can help walk through some troubleshooting steps for this particular story.

Also, could you please let me know when you first noticed this issue?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
RichardTuinstra1
New Contributor

Hi Owen,

Thanks for your quick reply! I cleared the cache on all the browsers including Firefox (Chrome, Edge) and have the same issue with all the browsers. The StoryMap doesn't load until I switch on the Developer Tools.

I also contacted Esri Tech Support with the issue and they couldn't replicate the issue on their side, meaning it did load successfully when they tried. Could this mean it has something to do with our network?

The StoryMap itself was built about a year ago and I didn't notice anything wrong with it until a month ago or so.

Richard Tuinstra

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@RichardTuinstra1 -- Yes it could be a security policy on your network that is preventing it from being loaded. If you are using VPN, can you try accessing off VPN or using another network?

If you still have a support incident open on this you may be able to share some network logs with the analyst so they can take a look at those.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos