Sound on videos - loads with it muted

Jump to solution
12-01-2020 01:17 AM
SueHeyes
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I have some video files (MP4) in my story map but it always loads with sound muted - does anyone know how to change this?  Thanks 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello @SueHeyes -- There are several places within a story where you can place video, and depending on how you add the video (upload or link) and where you place it within the story there may be different options available.

I believe you are referring to a video that has been uploaded and placed in the large media panel of an immersive block, such as a sidecar. In this case, videos are currently always muted and autoplayed. We are looking at adding more video controls for this situation in a future release, but for now, you have a few options:

• Host the video on a 3rd party site such as YouTube or Vimeo and add it to the media panel via link. This will provide your readers with start/stop and mute/unmute controls
  • Upload the video in the story builder, but add it inline within your story. By inline I mean either in the main scrolling part of the story or in the side panel of a sidecar block. You can then go into the video options and configure how the video behaves and what controls are available to readers (see below)

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 8.28.27 AM.jpg

If you are interested in seeing this feature added, I'd encourage you to add it as an idea to the StoryMaps Idea board so others can vote for it and register their support for this enhancement.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello @SueHeyes -- There are several places within a story where you can place video, and depending on how you add the video (upload or link) and where you place it within the story there may be different options available.

I believe you are referring to a video that has been uploaded and placed in the large media panel of an immersive block, such as a sidecar. In this case, videos are currently always muted and autoplayed. We are looking at adding more video controls for this situation in a future release, but for now, you have a few options:

• Host the video on a 3rd party site such as YouTube or Vimeo and add it to the media panel via link. This will provide your readers with start/stop and mute/unmute controls
  • Upload the video in the story builder, but add it inline within your story. By inline I mean either in the main scrolling part of the story or in the side panel of a sidecar block. You can then go into the video options and configure how the video behaves and what controls are available to readers (see below)

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 8.28.27 AM.jpg

If you are interested in seeing this feature added, I'd encourage you to add it as an idea to the StoryMaps Idea board so others can vote for it and register their support for this enhancement.

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

You may also want to refer to this similar thread as well for some additional information about placing videos in stories. 

Owen Evans