searching albums and collections

Jump to solution
05-05-2021 10:45 AM
rootsmusic
New Contributor III

How can I search public albums and collections?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@rootsmusic I'm not sure what you mean by "albums" as we don't have anything like that in the StoryMaps ecosystem. 🙂  

There is no separate item type for collections in ArcGIS; stories and collections both use the StoryMaps item type. However, you can refine the results in ArcGIS Online to show only collections by adding typekeywords:storymapcollection to your search.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@rootsmusic You can use your favorite search engine to search for stories and collections. Just add "site:storymaps.arcgis.com" to your search terms, like this: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Astorymaps.arcgis.com+everest&atb=v239-1&ia=web 

Stories that are shared publicly will also come up in web searches that do not include the "site" keyword, but the site keyword limits the search so that it only returns StoryMaps.

You can also go to arcgis.com and use the search box at the top.  Once you get results, you can filter them to just show Apps > StoryMaps using the tools in the left sidebar.

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 2.21.24 PM.jpg

Owen Evans
rootsmusic
New Contributor III

Thanks @OwenGeo.  If I'm not mistaken though, ArcGIS search's filter is limited to narrative StoryMaps and doesn't include albums and collections.  Am I mistaken?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@rootsmusic I'm not sure what you mean by "albums" as we don't have anything like that in the StoryMaps ecosystem. 🙂  

There is no separate item type for collections in ArcGIS; stories and collections both use the StoryMaps item type. However, you can refine the results in ArcGIS Online to show only collections by adding typekeywords:storymapcollection to your search.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
rootsmusic
New Contributor III

Thanks @OwenGeo.  Admittedly, I'm not clear on what differentiates "albums" from "collections".  But apparently StoryMaps has albums like applied GIS.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Ahh, ok. Thanks for sharing that link. It looks like "album" is a term that our outreach team uses to group sets of stories together on various topics. That's not something that exists in ArcGIS, rather it's something that's used on esri.com marketing web pages.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos