Publishing a custom theme

Jump to solution
09-25-2020 12:16 PM
RyanDavis1
Occasional Contributor

Hi -

It looks like publishing a custom theme is required to use it in StoryMaps.  The publish button seems to be greyed out for our non-admin users.  Are there specific settings required for a user to publish a theme they've created?

I understand this is currently under beta so the documentation might be lacking at this time.

Thanks,

Ryan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ryan -- Thanks for your question. Publishing a theme currently requires the share-to-everyone privilege.

We are currently looking at enabling additional workflows for working with themes. Could you share how you and your organization would like to utilize themes? What is the role of the authors who are creating and using themes?

We'll look to include more information about required permissions in our themes documentation in a future update.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ryan -- Thanks for your question. Publishing a theme currently requires the share-to-everyone privilege.

We are currently looking at enabling additional workflows for working with themes. Could you share how you and your organization would like to utilize themes? What is the role of the authors who are creating and using themes?

We'll look to include more information about required permissions in our themes documentation in a future update.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for answering this, Owen. I found the same privilege after some further looking. In our case, a user on my team, with fewer privileges, created a theme for us to use on a collaborative story map but he couldn't publish it for us. I had to take ownership of his theme, publish it, and then give it back. It would be great if we could all access the theme from within our story map by sharing the item to the group we're working in. Currently, only the owner has access to the theme through the story map.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Gregory Bacon‌ -- In the current theme builder (beta), themes are only available to their owners, but we are working on making them shareable. Please see the section about theme builder in the blog announcement for more information about this and other things we are working on adding to the theme builder beta.

What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (September 2020) 

Owen Evans
Tiiki
by
New Contributor

Hi Owen -- We are currently having an issue publishing custom themes.

When we build a story map for an outside client, we are invited into the organization, and a "Publisher" user type is set up for us in their system according to what we've been told.  

We have built and applied custom themes in the past without any issue. Now, we are unable to publish and apply a custom theme, and from what we are aware, the setup should be the same in terms of the Publisher user type set up for us.

Is there an additional step others may have taken prior in order to give us this capability? Since everything is set up on their end, it's hard for us to know what was done in order for us to be able to publish and apply these themes before.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Tiiki -- Can you please provide more information and/or screenshots that show how the account is blocked from performing these actions? Which part of the workflow is unavailable or disabled?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Tiiki
by
New Contributor

Hi Owen -- We were able to get it figured out with ESRI Support.  It looks like there was a security feature toggled in the 'off' position, not allowing us to publish publicly.  I'm not sure if that is a default setting or not, but we have it set correctly now.  Thank you!