Select to view content in your preferred language

Images not loading/blurry in sidecar

12-04-2023 11:35 AM
Labels (2)
CorineNoufi
New Contributor

When I preview my story map the images I have in my sidecar are not loading, they all show up blurred out. All the images are high-quality .png files. Any ideas what the problem is?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @CorineNoufi , that blurred image is the loading state for the image, which means it should be eventually showing as a clear image. How long are you waiting on that Preview page for the images to load? It may take a moment for several larger images to load. 

Are you seeing any variance in waiting times between different browsers?

--Abby

0 Kudos
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

@CorineNoufi Please also feel free to share a link to your story if you're able!

--Abby

0 Kudos
CorineNoufi
New Contributor

I thought that might be the case! So do you think using lower quality images would solve the problem? This is the link to my story: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/fb15957145f842b988fee645d22ba075

0 Kudos
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

@CorineNoufi , I think what may be best is actually adding an animation in the form of a GIF to several slides of a sidecar, and then adding the text you want to scroll through in the sidecar's narrative panel. That way you can scroll through the text, without having to compromise the quality of the images. This also has the added benefit of making the text more accessible and available to screen readers. 

If you try this approach, you could create a GIF of the different animations and add it to one sidecar slide. You can then duplicate that slide, and add the different text to scroll through on each slide. That GIF will not jump as you scroll, which makes it easy for readers to scroll through the text at their own pace without worrying about the timing of the animation.

It is likely that the photos in their current state would end up loading in time for readers as they scroll, as long as they have a standard network connection. Just wanted to provide this other idea of using a GIF in case you wanted to try it out!

--Abby

0 Kudos