Help with Embedding?

03-02-2020 04:00 PM
PeterHorgan
New Contributor

Hi All,

I am having trouble getting a story map embedded on my organization's website.  I am running into multiple problems:

1. Using the Cascase model builder, I copy and paste the HTML code on my website and nothing appears at all.  When I preview the page, it just shows the HTML code and not the story map.
  2. Using the new model builder, I am unsure how to go about embedding the story map at all.  I click on the "link" icon, similar to the old model builder and it just says "the link has been copied to your clipboard".  Where is this clipboard?!  I haven't really found any blogs or resources on embedding with the new story map builder.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Peter,

To embed a story in your website you need to use a snippet of code called an iFrame. The iFrame can have many parameters to control its size and behavior, but at a minimum it must have a "src" attribute that points to the link to your story map. For example:

<iframe src="https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/abc123..."></iframe>‍‍

This is a standard practice for embedding content on the web, so I would suggest you ask for some help from the person who manages your website to get this working.

The clipboard is a common term for where text gets stored when you copy it on your computer. When text gets copied to the clipboard you can then paste it wherever you like.

The new ArcGIS StoryMaps doesn't provide iframe code since it is so simple to generate and often web administrators need to modify the code to fit their website anyway. However, you can copy the link using the link button in the header as you mentioned above or just copy the link out of your browser's address bar and use that in an iframe code snippet.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
PeterHorgan
New Contributor

Hi Owen,

Thank you for your reply. I believe I am embedding an iFrame code? When I

click the link button, this code shows up...

I copy and paste that into the website and the code still appears when I

preview the page. Not the map. Is there an additional step I am missing

here?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

What website are you pasting the code into? Are you using a website design tool like WIX? If so, you'll need to use an embed option so the page interprets the iframe snippet as code rather than plain text.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
PeterHorgan
New Contributor

I'm using Wordpress but what you just described sounds like the problem I'm

having. It's just interpreting it as plain text. I'll keep digging into

it. Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciate it.

-Peter

0 Kudos