Embed PDFs not working on StoryMaps

05-10-2021 06:02 AM
FiadhNiDhonnchadha
New Contributor II

Hi,

I used to use classic storymaps to embed pdfs into them and they worked fine. I've saved my PDFs on AGOL, I've shared them publicly to get a link. I'm trying to embed them onto the right hand panel but the link seems broken? This is all I see: 

FiadhNiDhonnchadha_0-1620651568023.png

When I click into it to make it large the URL is scrambled, referencing google drive in the beginning of the URL even though there is no mention of google drive in the URL I entered? I've tried this several times now and it's not working. 

This is the URL I'm trying to work with: https://jacobs.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/0627d609f98e42e59650ecd7ba062182/data 

@OwenR 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@FiadhNiDhonnchadha -- Thank you for reporting this issue. I am able to reproduce the behavior you described. We'll look into addressing this in on of our upcoming releases.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@FiadhNiDhonnchadha -- Embedding a PDF item in the narrative panel of a sidecar or inline (in the main part of the story) are still working as expected, so you may be able to use one of these options as a workaround for now.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@FiadhNiDhonnchadha -- This issue required some significant work to address, but our release next week should restore the ability for PDF items from ArcGIS Online to appear in the media panel. Please keep an eye out for a notification inside ArcGIS StoryMaps to know when the update is released.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
AmyWiwi
New Contributor II

Did the new release change how existing PDF hyperlinks function?  We have been doing a lot of online meetings and have a comment form from one here: 

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/collections/c9f72abccffb4745acf5a8570721e34d?item=6

Prior to last week, our links pointed the user to the client's site for PDF downloads.  These links allowed the user to download the PDFs immediately upon hitting the hyperlink.  This week, we lost this function and all of the links are broken on all of the Storymaps we have built over the past year.  On the link above, click "HERE" to see the loss in function.  The URL is correct, you can right click and download or hit refresh and it downloads.  We have tons of these links to the client's site that we will have to update if this isn't resolved.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @AmyWiwi -- There haven't been any changes in hyperlinks that I can think of that would affect this.

I'm not able to reproduce what you've described. When I click "HERE" the PDF downloads and I can open up the file from my computer as expected.

Are you seeing this issue in a certain browser or a certain machine? Is it possible there's a browser extension affecting the download behavior?

pdf-download.gif

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
AmyWiwi
New Contributor II

It only works in Firefox and Safari, not in Chrome or Edge.  We did pinpoint that the original StoryMap allows the download, but accessing through the Collection does not.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AmyWiwi -- Looks like the latest update to Chrome/Edge (they use the same browser engine) broke this.

That GIF I shared above where it was working as expected was using Edge 94, but I just updated to the latest (v95) and now I can reproduce the issue you've reported.

We'll take a look and see if it's a bug we can report to the Chromium Browser team or whether it's a something like a security policy change that they've made that we'll need to adjust for on our side. I'll update this thread when I have more info.

Owen Evans
KellyBoyd
New Contributor III

Hi @OwenGeo We're having this issue in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1. The embedded PDF works in FireFox but not Edge or Chrome. Do you happen to have any more info on what could be happening with Chrome and Edge?

Thanks so much,

Kelly

0 Kudos
AmyWiwi
New Contributor II

Thank you for your help!  

0 Kudos