Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS StoryMaps Uploading Images Error or Glitch

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
MarcusHarvey
Emerging Contributor

Hello, I had a question regarding allowing me to upload certain images into my story map. When I try to upload certain images I get the "This image is to large so it can't be uploaded, it exceeds 10mb or 5000 pixels." However, on my other project that same image is uploaded perfectly fine. The image is also under the 10 MB requirement. I would love some clarification on this. 

MarcusHarvey_0-1724249823082.png

MarcusHarvey_1-1724249853035.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@MarcusHarvey - As noted in the message you included in your screenshot, images must be 5000px or less. This recently changed recently due to some back-end changes (see the release notes for Aug 14, 2024). If you have an image you've used previously you'll need to use a simple image editor to resize it to be 5000px on it's longest dimension to be able to use it again.

We hope to increase this in the future above even the previous limit of 6000px. We do not have a specific timeline on this but are hoping it will be sometime in 2025.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ShaneONeill_144
Esri Contributor

Hi @MarcusHarvey are you able to provide us with the image in question and I will try to test on my end to see if I can recreate the behaviour?

0 Kudos
MarcusHarvey
Emerging Contributor

Hello, here is the image that I was using. However, it doesn't allow me to upload any images that above the size of 5,000kbs. Which is strange because the previous story map I created allowed me to use those images. 

211016-A-ZR166-052.JPG

0 Kudos
ShaneONeill_144
Esri Contributor

Thanks for that - I've just tested and its worked fine for me. It may just be an issue with that particular Storymap as the image seems to work on other Storymaps.

0 Kudos
MarcusHarvey
Emerging Contributor

Hm alright thanks, I'll keep playing around with it and see if the issue continues on other story maps I create. 🙂

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@MarcusHarvey - As noted in the message you included in your screenshot, images must be 5000px or less. This recently changed recently due to some back-end changes (see the release notes for Aug 14, 2024). If you have an image you've used previously you'll need to use a simple image editor to resize it to be 5000px on it's longest dimension to be able to use it again.

We hope to increase this in the future above even the previous limit of 6000px. We do not have a specific timeline on this but are hoping it will be sometime in 2025.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps