Accessibility Features in Guided Tour Storymap

Jump to solution
04-07-2021 08:20 AM
TulsaCommunity_College
New Contributor

My organization is creating a Storymap using the Guided Tour template. We are required to make sure anything produced is accessible. I've searched and come across some information on accessibility features (i.e., alt text) for some of the Storymaps. But, it isn't clear to me that accessibility features are available for the Guided Tour template. Can someone address this? Can you add alt text for all images, graphics, tables etc. regardless which template is used? Does the Guided Tour template have headings to organize content?  I am not the one creating this Storymap and I'm not familiar with how to do it. But, I'm being asked to provide answers. 

Thanks,

Kelly Allen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kelly -- Yes, in ArcGIS StoryMaps you can add alt text to images and videos in a map tour for any of the four map tour layouts (guided tour and explorer tour). Also, the map tour place title is tagged as a heading, so that provides hierarchy for accessibility.

The only consideration is that alt text is not currently supported if you use a feature service to create the map tour (that's the third option when you create a new tour).

You can read more here: Building an accessible product : our journey so far (esri.com)

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kelly -- Yes, in ArcGIS StoryMaps you can add alt text to images and videos in a map tour for any of the four map tour layouts (guided tour and explorer tour). Also, the map tour place title is tagged as a heading, so that provides hierarchy for accessibility.

The only consideration is that alt text is not currently supported if you use a feature service to create the map tour (that's the third option when you create a new tour).

You can read more here: Building an accessible product : our journey so far (esri.com)

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
TulsaCommunity_College
New Contributor

Thank you for the link and information. 

0 Kudos
KennethLohr1
New Contributor II

Hi, Owen.  When can we expect there will be support for alt tags when using a feature service to drive the map tour?   It would seem as simple as creating a field in the feature service to hold the alt tag, and selecting that field in the map tour configuration.