Select to view content in your preferred language

Use dashboard mobile view when embedded in sidecar

a week ago
Labels (2)
DerekMStrout
Occasional Contributor

Hey StoryMaps Team,

I'm testing out the great new embed option in a Sidecar and am wondering if it's possible to either automatically detect or be able to specify whether a dashboard has a Mobile view, and display that in the Sidecar, even if reading the StoryMap on a large screen? I could see how having a simple dashboard in a Sidecar section could add some valuable context to a story, and would love to be able to leverage the configurations already tweaked for the Mobile view rather than build a Sidecar-specific copy or require pop-out.

Thanks!
Derek

*Update from two minutes later...*
I didn't actually think this would work, but I added #view=mobile to the URL and imagine my surprise! It's not perfect, since the block dimensions display in landscape orientation (vs portrait as designed for a phone), but might be able to work in some cases. Maybe then having an option in the Embed properties to specify a portrait sidecar block orientation?

5 Comments
OwenGeo
Status changed to: Already Offered

Hi @DerekMStrout - Yep! You can just add #view=mobile to the dashboard link when you add it to the story to force the mobile view to show. See this help topic.

URL parameters—ArcGIS Dashboards | Documentation

As the topic mentions, the mobile dashboard view will only automatically show when the window/frame the dashboard is in is 600px wide or narrower, but you can use the URL parameter to force it to show.

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Open

Looks like we commented almost at the same time. lol I'll change this idea status back to OPEN since you are requesting a toggle in the story builder to control which dashboard view shows.

DerekMStrout

Haha, thanks @OwenGeo. Adding the URL parameter is easy enough for now, but can let others vote on a dedicated toggle. Would you prefer I revise this idea to request a portrait orientation option for sidecar embeds as it seems to honor for images?

OwenGeo

@DerekMStrout - the block size sounds like a separate idea, so it would be good to create a new idea for that one. It would also be helpful if you could share some screenshots describing what you mean and present an example of the situation you are referring to, if possible. Thx!

DerekMStrout

@OwenGeoWill do, thanks!